Sports Recap: Women’s hockey pulls off a monster upset, men’s track dominates, and both basketball teams crowned Ivy champions

MBB @ Harvard 2022.jpeg
Men’s basketball is close to joining women’s basketball as an outright Ivy League regular season champion.
Courtesy of @PrincetonMBB/Twitter.

Track and field at Ivy League Heptagonal Championships (Heps) 

The No. 15  men’s track team took first place at Heps this past weekend  — their seventh consecutive Heps title  — with Harvard following in second place. Nine different Tigers earned individual titles en route to claiming the championship. Senior Christian Brown earned first in the 60M hurdles, junior Ibrahim Ayorinde in the 200M, senior Michael Phillippy in the 400M, senior Sam Ellis in the 800M and the mile, first-year Harrison Witt in the 1000M, junior Andrei Iosivas in the heptathlon, senior C.J. Licata in the shot put, junior Sondre Guttormsen in the pole vault, and senior Aviram Shwarzbard in the long jump. Iosivas’ score of 6036 breaks the League record and puts him third in the nation. 

The women’s team saw much success at the Armory Track as well. They placed second behind Harvard, the first time since 2011 Princeton has broken the top two at Heps. The Tigers earned four individual titles and a 4x800M relay champion title with a team of first-year Paola Rodriguez, sophomore Tsion Yared, first-year Mena Scatchard, and junior Maggie Hock. Hock took first in the 800M, senior Caroline Timm in the 1000M, first-year Siniru Iheoma in the shot put, and junior Tia Rozario in the triple jump. 

Women’s ice hockey at Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC) tournament  

This past weekend marked the beginning of the Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference (ECAC) tournament for the women’s ice hockey team (13–14–5, 9–10–3 ECAC). The Tigers came out strong against the No. 6 Harvard  (22–9–1, 16–5–1), defeating the Crimson 4–2. Sophomore forward Annie Kuehl scored the first goal, setting the tone for the remainder of the game in Princeton’s favor. Harvard responded with a goal of their own, but without hesitation, the Tigers put themselves ahead with a goal from senior forward Sharon Frankel. Once again, the Crimson tied the game 2–2 with 45 seconds left in the second period. However, Harvard was no match for senior forward Shannon Griffin who extended the lead by two in the third period, securing the win for the Tigers. 

In their second game against the Crimson for best of three, the Tigers fell 2–1 in overtime. The opening period was scoreless in a back-and-forth battle between the two teams. Four minutes into the second period, first-year forward Grace Kuipers gave the Tigers a one-goal lead. The Crimson tied the game early in the third and scored 12 seconds into OT to take the win. 

The Tigers bounced back in their third and final game, securing a spot in the ECAC semifinals with a 3–2 win. The Crimson was the first to score, but Princeton would set the pace of the game to their advantage. Four minutes after Harvard’s goal, Frankel tied the game. The second period was a scoreless battle between the two teams, but junior forward Maggie Connors opened the third period with a goal of her own to pull the Tigers ahead. Griffin added to the score to give Princeton a two-goal lead. The Crimson managed to slip one past senior goalie Rachel McQuigge late in the period, but were unable to close the gap before the buzzer sounded. 

The Tigers will face No. 7 Yale on Friday, March 4 in the ECAC semifinals. 

Check out this article for the full ECAC quarterfinals recap. 

Men’s ice hockey vs. Colgate, Cornell,  Harvard   

The men’s ice hockey team (8–19–2, 7–14–1 ECAC) started off the weekend with a 4–3 loss against Colgate (14–16–4, 9–9–4). Despite holding a one-goal lead in the opening period with a goal from first-year forward Jack Cronin, the Tigers were unable to contain the Colgate Raiders. Throughout the second and third periods, Colgate trailed Princeton by just one point. However, two consecutive goals from Colgate less than two minutes apart gave the Raiders the lead and the victory. 

Their second game delivered an unfortunate 4–0 shutout loss against No. 18 Cornell (17–8–4, 12–6–4). The Tigers’ defense was unable to contain the Big Red, who scored the first goal less than a minute into the opening period. Cornell would score once more in the second and twice in the third to pull ahead while giving the Tigers little opportunity to put themselves on the scoreboard. 

Unfortunately for the Tigers, Sunday’s game against No. 18 Harvard (17–9–3, 14–6–2) yielded similar results with a 3–0 loss. The Crimson controlled the entire game, outshooting Princeton 33–29 and scoring one goal each period. The Tigers needed this win to host an ECAC tournament game, but with this loss, they will be heading to No. 7-seeded Union for the ECAC first rounds on Friday, March 4. 

Check out this article for a full recap of the weekend games. 

Men’s lacrosse vs. Binghamton, Maryland  

No. 20 men’s lacrosse (2–1, 0–0 Ivy League) opened the second week of the season with a 22–9 win against Binghamton (1–2 overall, 0–0 America East). The Bearcats were no match for the Tigers’ explosive offense, as Princeton outshot Binghamton 53–36.  Junior midfielder Jake Stevens and senior attacker Chris Brown led the Tigers with four goals each, and junior attacker Alex Slusher followed with three of his own. Overall, 12 different Tigers scored to help secure the second win of the season.

Despite a strong start to the week, the Tigers later fell 15–10 to No. 1 Maryland (4–0 overall, 0–0 Big Ten). The Terrapins kicked off the game with two goals 11 seconds apart in the first minute for a quick 2-0 lead. Slusher managed to put the Tigers on the board three minutes later. Princeton entered halftime trailing behind three, and the Terrapins managed to extend the lead to five goals by the end of the game. The Tigers’ defense was no match for the first-ranked team in the nation: Maryland outshot Princeton 50–23. 

The Tigers will take on Georgetown next on Saturday, March 5. 

Check out this article for a recap of the Binghamton game. 

Women’s lacrosse vs. #20 Temple 

The women’s lacrosse team (2–0 overall, 0–0 Ivy League) is starting the season off hot. No. 11 Princeton took on No. 20 Temple (3–1 overall, 0–0 American) in a home opener that saw a 14–10 win. The Owls scored the first goal of the game and held the lead for most of the first half with Princeton trailing behind. However, with just 12 seconds left in the second quarter, senior attacker Kyla Sears gave the Tigers a two-goal lead going into halftime. Temple tied the game 10-all early in the final quarter, but three goals from Sears and one from first-year midfielder McKenzie Blake pulled the Tigers ahead, securing the victory. 

The Tigers will be hosting Cornell on Saturday, March 5 to kick off Ivy League play. 

Women’s basketball vs. Columbia

The women’s basketball team (20–4 overall, 12–0 Ivy League) claimed the Ivy League regular-season crown after winning 73–53 against the Columbia Lions (20–5, 11–2). In the opening quarter, the Tigers scored 26 points, leaving the Lions in the dust with just eight. Their domination of the court continued into the second quarter, and Columbia entered halftime with a 26-point deficit. The Lions stepped up their game in the third quarter, outscoring the Tigers 18–11. However, their efforts were not enough to catch up to the Tigers, who held the lead for the entirety of the game. The game concluded with sophomore guard Kaitlyn Chen totaling 27 points and junior guard Grace Stone with 19.  

Princeton will be hosting Penn on Friday, March 4 for the team’s senior game. 

Check out this article for a full recap of the Tigers’ win against Columbia. 

Men’s basketball vs. Harvard  

Senior night against the Harvard Crimson saw a 74–67 win for the Tigers. Despite a 6–0 run to start the game, Princeton (21–5 overall, 11–2 Ivy League) entered halftime trailing behind Harvard (13–12, 5–8) by just two points (38–36). Unwilling to give the Crimson the satisfaction of winning, especially on the home-court, the Tigers stepped up their offense in the second half. Senior guard Jaelin Llewellyn earned a career-high of 29 points, accompanied by six rebounds, to lead the Tigers. Senior guard Ethan Wright added 15 points to help Princeton pull ahead. Compared to the Crimson’s 26.1 percent for shooting beyond the arc, the Tigers had an impressive 46.7 percent, going 14 for 30. 

In their second game against the Crimson this weekend, Princeton defeated Harvard 74–73. With less than five seconds left in the game, the Tigers were down by one, but a layup from junior forward Tosan Evbuomwan secured the victory. Evbuomwan led the Tigers with 18 points and Llewellyn followed with 16. This win marks the Tigers’ 28th Ivy League Championship title. 

To read more about the Tiger’s Ivy League victory, check out the full article here.

Princeton will take on Penn on Saturday, March 5 for their final regular-season game. 

Check out this article for a full recap of Friday’s senior game.

Men’s swim and dive at Ivy League Championships 

This past week, the Tigers hosted the Ivy League Championships at DeNunzio Pool. They earned second place behind the Harvard Crimson, breaking multiple records en route. Junior Raunak Koshla won three individual titles in the 200 butterfly, 400 individual medley (IM), and the 200 IM. Koshla’s time of 3:41.43 in the 400 IM is the best time in program history, and his 200 IM time of 1:41.50 broke the Princeton, pool, and Ivy record. In the 400 medley relay, a team composed of first-year Tyler Hong, Khosla, sophomore Nicholas Lim, and junior Max Walther set a new record in program history with a time of 3:07.08. Junior Dylan Porges also took first place in the 500 freestyle, breaking his own personal record as well. 

Princeton will be hosting a last chance meet on Friday, March 5 at DeNunzio. 

Julia Nguyen is a co-head editor for the Sports section at the 'Prince' who usually covers the weekend recaps. She can be reached at trucn@princeton.edu or on instagram at @jt.nguyen.