Men’s lacrosse destroys Binghamton to start season 2–0

michael bath.jpeg
First-year midfielder Michael Bath scores his first goal of the season against Binghamton. 
Photo courtesy of Princeton Men’s Lacrosse / @tigerlacrosse on Twitter.

After nearly two years off, the Tigers are back.

Following a season opener that saw a 22–6 win over Monmouth (0–1, 0–0 MAAC), Princeton men’s lacrosse (2–0, 0–0 Ivy League) continued their dominance with a 22–9 win over Binghamton (0–2, 0–0 America East) on Tuesday, Feb. 22.

In the game against the Binghamton Bearcats, Junior midfielder Jake Stevens and senior attacker Chris Brown each scored four goals in the Tigers’ rout, while junior attacker Alex Slusher added three of his own to continue his hot start to the season.

Princeton started fast in the opening quarter, netting the first five goals of the game, capped off by Slusher’s first with 2:53 left in the quarter. Binghamton midfielder Andrew Arce scored with 46 seconds left to get the Bearcats on the board. Slusher responded with a second goal with six seconds remaining to put the Tigers up 6–1 heading into the second quarter.

Binghamton scored twice in the first 39 seconds of the second quarter to cut the deficit to 6–3 but was scoreless for the remainder of the quarter. The Tigers answered with eight straight goals, including two from Brown and one apiece from Slusher and Stevens. Princeton went into halftime with a monstrous 14–3 lead, asserting their dominance on the field.

The third quarter was more balanced but still saw the Tigers extend their lead. Stevens scored twice in the quarter to cap off his scoring for the afternoon, as Princeton outscored the Bearcats 4–3 overall, and entered the fourth ahead 18–6. Brown opened the final quarter with his fourth goal of the game, while junior midfielder Sam English picked up the assist, his second of the game. The Tigers outscored the Bearcats 4–3 in the final frame with first-year long-stick midfielder Michael Bath scoring his first career goal to get the Tigers their 22nd of the game.

The Tigers are back in action this Saturday, Feb. 26, as they head down to College Park, Md. to take on the Maryland Terrapins. Their next home game will be on Saturday, March 12, when they host in-state rival Rutgers.

Ben Burns is an Associate Sports Editor at the ‘Prince’ who typically covers basketball, hockey, and soccer. He can be reached at bwburns@princeton.edu or on Twitter @bwburns5_.