University lifts 20-person event capacity limit for undergraduates

cottage-club.jpg
Cottage Club, one of the eating clubs at Princeton
Candace Do / The Daily Princetonian 

As of Tuesday, Feb. 1, the University has lifted its COVID-19 protocol limiting the capacity of in-person events for undergraduate students to 20 people. 

In an email obtained by The Daily Princetonian, Bryan Blount ’08, the Assistant Dean and Manager of Strategic Communications for the Office of the Dean of Undergraduate Students (ODUS) told the Interclub Council (ICC) that “The 20-person [capacity limit] has expired, [and is] no longer in effect.” 

Deputy University Spokesperson Michael Hotchkiss confirmed this in an email to the ‘Prince,’ writing, “The temporary, 20-person limitation on the number of people in undergraduate student dormitory rooms or suites or off-campus residences has been lifted.” 

ICC President Schuyler Kean ’22 wrote to the ‘Prince’ in an email, “[I]n keeping with the University’s policy changes and guidance, regular dining will resume.”

Kean added, “Large, indoor social events [in eating clubs] are still postponed until further notice, but ‘Welcome to the Club’ dinners and outdoor activities are fine as long as they remain within the confines of the University’s COVID policies.”

The University’s COVID-19 Safe Practices website states, “University staff, students or faculty can host indoor and outdoor gatherings and events of any size on or off campus.” 

Eating clubs are currently involved in spring bicker, hosting both in-person and virtual events.

Editor’s Note: This piece has been updated to include comment from ICC President Schuyler Kean.

Bailey Glenetske is an Assistant News Editor who often covers current University affairs and politics. She can be reached at bailey.glenetske@princeton.edu or on Instagram @bailey.glenetske.