Kwesi Adofo-Mensah ’03 hired as the Minnesota Vikings’ new general manager

The_Flag_Runners.jpeg
The Minnesota Viking Flag Runners
“The Flag Runners” by Tiger Girl / CC BY 2.0

On Wednesday, Jan. 26, the National Football League’s Minnesota Vikings hired Kwesi Adofo-Mensah ’03 as their next general manager. Adofo-Mensah was one of two finalists chosen from a pool of eight candidates for the position.

A New Jersey native, Adofo-Mensah graduated Princeton with an undergraduate degree in economics before starting a career in finance. He left Wall Street in 2013 after being hired by the San Francisco 49ers as the manager of football research and development, eventually being promoted to the director of the department. In 2020, the Cleveland Browns hired him as the Vice President of Football Operations. In total, Adofo-Mensah has nine years of NFL experience under his belt.

“I am extremely thankful to the Wilf family and the Vikings organization for giving me the opportunity to lead our football operations and join this respected franchise,“ Adofo-Mensah said. “There is so much to appreciate about this organization — an existing nucleus of talent on the roster, top-notch facilities, passionate fans and smart people throughout the building who are committed to winning.”

“I look forward to partnering with our next head coach and our entire football operations staff to begin our work of bringing a Super Bowl to Vikings fans,” he continued.

Due to inconsistent plays and several close games that ultimately ended in favor of their opponents, the Vikings went 8–9 this past season. The team missed the playoffs. Earlier this January, the Vikings fired their longtime General Manager Rick Spielman and Head Coach Mike Zimmer. As the next general manager, Adofo-Mensah aims to bring the Vikings back to the playoffs and win the Super Bowl for the first time in franchise history.

Ben Burns is an Associate Sports Editor at the ‘Prince.’ He can be reached at bwburns@princeton.edu.