Weekend recap: Hockey starts, men’s XC wins championship

men's hockey team stock.png
Men's hockey starters huddle before a game at Baker Rink. 
Tom Salotti / Daily Princetonian

Women’s Ice Hockey @ Yale, Brown  

In their season opener against Yale on Friday, the women’s ice hockey team secured a 2–0 shutout. Senior goalie Rachel McQuigge made 31 saves and earned her sixth career shutout. The Tigers scored with about three minutes left in the period as the offense intercepted an attempted clearance from Yale’s defense. Junior forward Maggie Connors scored both goals with assists from junior defender Solveig Neunzert, first-year forward Mia Coene, first-year forward Sarah Paul, and sophomore defender Stef Wallace. 

Following their first win, the team secured another against Brown. Less than a minute into the game, first-year defender Dominique Cormier scored and gave Princeton an early 1–0 advantage. Within 42 seconds during the second period, both Maggie Connors and Mia Coene scored. The Brown Bears would score two goals in the last two periods, but they could not close the gap. Princeton is now 2–0 in both the league and overall.

Their home opener will be against Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute on Friday, Nov. 5 at Hobey Baker Rink. 

Men’s Ice Hockey @ Army

In their season opener at West Point, the men’s ice hockey team fell 1–4. The Black Knights scored twice in the first period. First-year defenseman Noah de la Durantaye answered with a goal of his own for Princeton in the second period with assists from senior defenseman Mark Paolini and sophomore forward Adam Robbins. Army would score twice more in the second period following Princeton’s goal.

The team will play in their first league game on the road against Brown on Friday, Nov. 5. 

Women’s Volleyball @ Harvard, Dartmouth 

This weekend, women’s volleyball fell both to the Harvard Crimson 0–3 (23–25, 21–25, 20–25) and the Dartmouth Big Green 2–3 (26–24, 25–14, 14–25, 14–25, 16–14). 

When Harvard and Princeton met earlier in the month, the Tigers won 3–2. On Friday, the two teams were well matched in a back-and-forth battle throughout all three sets, with Princeton trailing. Junior setter Lindsey Kelly led with 27 assists, senior middle blocker Julia Schner with nine kills, first-year middle blocker/right side hitter Mariah Haislip with six blocks, and junior libero Cameron Dames with 10 digs.

Similarly, in their first game against Dartmouth almost a month ago, the Tigers defeated the Big Green 3–0. Although Dartmouth won the first set this past Saturday, Princeton came back and secured wins in the next two sets. Dartmouth managed to close the gap and win the fifth, earning them the 2–3 victory. Lindsey led the game with 50 assists, junior outside hitter Elena Montgomery with 21 kills, Schner and Haislip with six blocks, and Dames with 32 digs.

Princeton is now 13–5 overall and 7–3 in the league. The Tigers will be on the road for another league game against the Brown Bears on Friday, Nov. 5.

Cross Country @ HEPS 

This past Saturday, Princeton hosted the Ivy League Heptagonal Cross Country Championship. The men’s XC team took home the Ivy title for the 22nd time in Princeton history. Senior Ed Trippas led the Tigers, coming in second for the 8K (23:26.3). The women’s team earned second place behind Harvard, with sophomore Fiona Max coming in second for the 6K with a time of 20:26.4. 

Field Hockey @ Brown 

After two losses last week, the Tigers came back with a 3–0 shutout against the Brown Bears. Sophomore midfielder/defender Sam Davidson scored her first career goal on a penalty stroke in the second period. Junior goalkeeper Clair Donovan added to the scoreboard in the third period off of an assist from junior midfielder Sammy Popper. With less than eight minutes left in the game, junior striker Ali McCarthy secured the 3–0 win, assisted by junior midfielder Hannah Davey. The Tigers are now 6–1, trailing second behind Harvard. 

They will be hosting Columbia at Bedford Field for their regular season finale on Saturday, Nov. 6. 

Football @ Cornell 

In a Friday night game against Cornell, the Tigers maintained their undefeated record, beating the Big Red 34–16. 7–0 overall and 4–0 in the league, this is the third season in a row that Princeton has secured seven straight wins since the opener. Senior wide receiver Dylan Classi surpassed 1,000 receiving yards on Cornell’s turf. The Tigers will be taking on Dartmouth in another away game on Friday, Nov. 5. Their next home game will be against Yale on Saturday, Nov. 13. 

Check out this article for full details of Friday’s game.  

Men’s and Women’s Soccer vs. Cornell 

Men’s soccer secured a crucial win against Cornell on Saturday afternoon, bringing them one step closer to becoming Ivy League champions. Goals from sophomore forward Walker Gillespie and junior forward Daniel Diaz Bonilla led the Tigers to a 2–1 victory, allowing them to remain undefeated and first place in the league. Senior goalkeeper Jack Roberts made 11 total saves. The team will take on Penn in another league game on Saturday, Nov. 6 on the road.

The women’s soccer team also added to their win streak, securing a 1–0 shutout against Cornell. In the first half, a goal from junior midfielder Grace Sherman, assisted by sophomore forward Alexis Hiltunen and sophomore midfielder Aria Nagai, gave the Tigers a 1–0 advantage. Princeton had five saves and outshot Cornell by six shots (16, 10). Currently second in the league behind Brown, the team is 5–1 in conference. They will be playing their last regular season game against Penn on Saturday, Nov. 6. 

Check out this article for in-depth coverage of the men’s game, and this article to read more about the women’s soccer win.

Julia Nguyen is a staff writer for the Sports section at the 'Prince.' She can be reached at trucn@princeton.edu or on instagram at @jt.nguyen.