USG announces class officer election results

Lewis Library room USG.jpg
Lewis Library Room 138, where USG meetings took place in previous years. 
Julian Gottfried / The Daily Princetonian

Sydney Johnson ’24 will serve as the first president of the Class of 2024, according to results for the recent spring elections of the Undergraduate Student Government (USG).

Johnson received a plurality of first choice votes in the three-candidate race and won the election with 59.7 percent of second choice votes. USG elections use ranked-choice voting. She will serve alongside Ive Jones ’24, who was elected vice president of the Class of 2024. The pair ran their campaigns together as unofficial running mates

“Serving as a Freshman Class Council Representative has been the highlight of my first year, and I am beyond honored to continue to serve our class as its President,” Johnson said.

Jones received 384 votes in her two-candidate race, making up 56 percent of the votes cast for the position. 

In an email to The Daily Princetonian, Jones said that she is grateful to her class for its engagement.

“The grit and tenacity of our class motivates me to be an even better leader this upcoming year,” she said.

There were only five contested races on the ballot this spring, four of which were for 2024 class government positions. In addition to president and vice president, the class treasurer and social chair were also contested races.

61 percent of the Class of 2024 participated in these elections, according to the USG Chief Elections Manager Brian Li ’24.

Eric Ahn ’24 will be the treasurer for the Class of 2024. He won by a single vote in the second round.

“I want to make sure that everyone has a say in what we do next year, so I’ll continue reaching out and getting their feedback on what we can do to improve and what they want to see next year,” he said.

Lauren Fahlberg ’24 was elected social chair for the Class of 2024 after receiving 73 percent of the votes cast. 

“I want to jump in head-first next semester, so that our sophomore year starts off right,” she said.

The race for the Class of 2023 secretary was the only other contested election on the ballot, and current secretary Eesha Agarwal ’23 was reelected. She received 69 percent of the votes from the Class of 2023.

49 percent of the Class of 2023 participated in the election.

No referenda appeared on this ballot because the campaign for Referenda I — which called for a sequence in American Sign Language (ASL) that would fulfill departmental and language requirements — was called off after the Program in Linguistics approved the change before election voting began.

This article is breaking and will be updated as more information becomes available.