Voting begins for five contested class government races

Lewis Library room USG.jpg
Lewis Library Room 138, where USG meetings took place in previous years. 
Julian Gottfried / The Daily Princetonian

Spring Elections for several Undergraduate Student Government (USG) positions include only five contested races, four of which are races for 2024 class government positions.

Voting began at noon on Monday, April 19, and will end at noon on Thursday, April 22.

The only contested races on the ballot are for Secretary of the Class of 2023 and President, Vice President, Treasurer, and Social Chair of the Class of 2024. All other class government races for the classes of 2022, 2023, and 2024 are uncontested.

Aisha Chebbi ’24, Alison Lee ’24, and Sydney Johnson ’24 are all candidates for President of the Class of 2024. 

The Class of 2024 has yet to be able to host any in-person social events, and Johnson said that she hopes “we’ll be able to safely and gradually interact with one another in larger groups [in the fall].”

Chebbi shared this sentiment, saying that she is “looking forward to developing creative ways for our class to connect socially.”

“It's been more than a year since we first got into Princeton, and (at least for me and others I've talked to) the spark of getting into Princeton has worn off,” Lee wrote in an email to The Daily Princetonian. “I want to rekindle that spark with amazing events that make the class of 2024 excited to say they go to Princeton every single day.”

While Chebbi and Johnson currently serve on the 2024 class council, Lee has not yet served on class government.

“I am the underdog,” she said. “I believe all three candidates are qualified and have amazing ideas. I know I have the passion and love for the class of 2024 to make their Princeton experience inspiring.”

Ive Jones ’24 and Mariana Bravo ’24, who currently serve on class government, are both running for Vice President of the Class of 2024.

When asked about the current first-year experience, Jones said she hopes to “create and implement innovative solutions that revitalize class traditions and usher in a new mode of taking on college life.”

Bravo did not respond to a request for comment.

Jones and Johnson are unofficial running mates, as they cannot formally file candidacy jointly, per the USG Elections Handbook. They have announced via social media that they plan to coordinate platforms, ideas, and campaigns with each other.

Natasha Hurwitch ’24, Eric Ahn ’24, and Dusu Sidibay ’24 are running for Treasurer of the Class of 2024.

If elected, Ahn expressed his top priority would be “to make sure that everyone in [the Class of 2024] has a say in how the money is spent.” 

Sidibay would prioritize the allocation of funds for “programming that benefits [the Class of 2024] in all aspects of student life, mental and physical health.”

In light of a uniquely challenging year for cultivating social connections, both Ahn and Sidibay emphasized their hopes for a greater variety of events for the following school year.

Hurwitch did not respond to a request for comment from the ‘Prince.’

Lauren Fahlberg ’24 and Steve Lopez ’24 are running for Social Chair for the Class of 2024.

Both mentioned their desire to make up for lost first-year opportunities in the upcoming year.

“I want to implement as much bonding activities as possible,” Fahlberg said. “I’m running because I’m frustrated by everything we were forced to miss out on this year.”

Lopez expressed similar views, saying he believes it’s “incredibly important” for students to meet other members of the Class of 2024, and that students “have a say” in which specific events are planned.

Eesha Agarwal ’23 and Sameed Sayeed ’23 are running for Secretary of the Class of 2023. Agarwal currently serves as secretary.

If re-elected, Agarwal said, she will “strive to continue inculcating these values of transparency and accessibility, of equity and cohesiveness into all the work we undertake next year.”

Sayeed did not respond to a request for comment from the ‘Prince.’

Confirmation of seven U-Councilor positions will also appear on the ballot. The seven candidates are Emma Moriarty ’22, Ayush Alag ’23, Riley Martinez ’23, Juan Nova ’23, Vian Wagatsuma ’23, Christopher St Hilaire ’24, and Stephen Daniels ’24.

The USG Constitution calls for ten U-Councilors, meaning that the remaining three positions will be filled by application, according to USG President Christian Potter ’22.

Referendum I, which called for American Sign Language (ASL) courses to be considered equal to other language programs and fulfill language requirements, will no longer appear on the ballot, as the Committee on the Course of Study (COCS) recently approved a program expansion for ASL under the Program of Linguistics. The expansion will allow the ASL curriculum to fulfill language requirements under the A.B. degree program.

Elaine Wright ’21, the sponsor of Referendum I, wrote in a campaign announcement that the expansion made by the Linguistics program “almost fully overlaps with the asks made by the referendum.”

Election results will be announced at 1:30 p.m. ET on Friday, April 23, via email.

Editor’s Note: A previous version of this article misstated that Fahlberg and Lopez are running for Secretary of the Class of 2024. They are running for Social Chair.