James Cadogan ’03 to lead NBA Social Justice Coalition

Spalding_Basketball.jpeg
"Spalding NBA game ball leather" by uhlsport GmbH / CC-SA 4.0

The NBA has hired another Princetonian to serve in an executive role.

On April 15, the league hired James Cadogan ’03 as its first Executive Director of the National Basketball Social Justice Coalition. Before being hired by the NBA, Cadogan worked for Arnold Ventures, a philanthropy that focuses on criminal justice and other social reforms.

Cadogan, who attended Columbia Law School after his undergraduate years as a Tiger, also worked for the Obama administration, where he worked as Counselor to the Attorney General and Director of Policy for the Department of Justice’s Civil Rights Division. Cadogan was also the first director of the NAACP Legal Defense Fund’s Thurgood Marshall Institute, which focuses on advocacy for civil rights issues.

“James’ expertise in public policy and record of success in vision and strategy-setting will help drive the priorities of the National Basketball Social Justice Coalition, and ensure we are creating meaningful impact in key areas of reform at the national, state, and local levels,” NBA Deputy Commissioner Mark Tatum said in a press release.

“The Social Justice Coalition cements the NBA family’s commitment to civic engagement and policy action at a crucial moment in our nation,” Cadogan said in the same press release. “Just as today’s grassroots movement for justice can trace its origins to the civil rights movement of the 1950s and ’60s, this coalition is rooted in the legacy forged by generations of NBA athletes, who for over sixty years have used their platforms to fight for civil rights and economic justice. I’m honored to be joining the team and look forward to helping today’s players, coaches, league officials, and governors build on that rich tradition.”

Cadogan will begin working in his new role with the NBA on May 10.