Senate approves referenda position papers in final meeting of Parikh’s term

usg 01/25/21
Andrew Somerville / The Daily Princetonian

The Undergraduate Student Government (USG) Senate met for the final time under the administration of President Chitra Parikh ’21 to vote on referenda position papers and review the year. Members of both the outgoing and incoming administration were invited to attend the meeting.

Parliamentarian Kate Liu ’23 presented the final draft of two referenda position papers to the Senate for approval. Both papers were unanimously approved and will be sent to the relevant administrators by Feb. 1. The referenda had both been approved in the winter election by an overwhelming majority.

The purpose of the papers is to provide an explanation of the undergraduates’ official position regarding the referenda. They call on the University to excuse students from classes on Election Day and to divest from fossil fuels.

In her final President’s report, Parikh reviewed the accomplishments and activities of USG since January 2020. The 17-page document details accomplished goals and events that were sponsored by USG during the past year. The overview starts with the annual tradition of giving out free bagels and coffee on the first day of class and goes on to highlight virtual outreach and feedback opportunities during the pandemic.

“I am really thankful that we all have had the chance to work together, and I am really proud of how we have made resources available to all undergraduate students,” Parikh said. 

The meeting was held via Zoom on Sunday, Jan. 24, at 4:30 p.m. ET.