Sacramento Kings name Monte McNair ’06 as General Manager

kings.jpg
Caption: Sacramento Kings logo Credit: @SacramentoKings Twitter

Monte McNair ’06 has been hired as the Sacramento Kings’ new general manager, the team announced in a press release on its website on Thursday.

McNair had been the Houston Rockets’ assistant general manager since 2018 and will be replacing Vlade Divac, who stepped down as the Kings’ general manager last month.

“Monte is one of the NBA’s top basketball minds who has played an instrumental role in building several winning teams in Houston,” Kings Owner and Chairman Vivek Ranadivé said in the press release. “I am excited to bring his extensive experience and vision onboard to lead our basketball operations department, and it is my pleasure to welcome Monte and his family to Sacramento.”

According to the press release, McNair will be responsible for all decisions made in the Kings’ operations department and will serve as the team’s top basketball executive. 

“I am thrilled to join the Kings organization and honored to shape the franchise’s bright future for the team’s loyal fans,” McNair said in the press release. “I would like to thank Vivek for this opportunity and look forward to becoming a part of the Sacramento community.”

McNair played football during his time at the University and graduated with a degree in computer science. He began his career as a developer and programmer with the Houston Rockets in 2007 before being promoted to Director of Basketball Operations in 2013, Vice President of Basketball Operations in 2016, and being subsequently promoted to Assistant General Manager in 2018.