U. issues ‘All Clear’ following bomb threat on Nassau Hall, Firestone Library, Chapel, and Art Museum

Nassau Hall

The Department of Public Safety (DPS) issued evacuation orders this morning after a bomb threat was received for Firestone Library, the University Art Museum, the University Chapel, and Nassau Hall.

Around two hours later, DPS confirmed that there is no threat and issued an “ALL CLEAR.”

Public Safety is “actively investigating the origin of the bomb threat,” according to University Deputy Spokesperson Michael Hotchkiss. 

In a Tiger Alert sent at 11:11 a.m., DPS instructed individuals in Firestone Library, the University Art Museum, the Chapel, and Nassau Hall to collect their personal items and evacuate those buildings, leaving doors unlocked and open to allow the area to be inspected. 

“Department of Public Safety personnel are responding. If you are not currently on campus, avoid traveling to the area,” the 11:11 a.m. message stated. “Remain away from the area until an all-clear is issued.”

In a statement to The Daily Princetonian, University Spokesperson Ben Chang wrote that “as with any threat, University officials are taking this seriously and taking all the necessary steps to ensure the safety of our community.” 

Individuals on campus were also told to avoid using phones unless they have details about this emergency or the matter is urgent, “as this may slow or prevent the timely delivery of further information about this emergency.” Thirteen minutes after the initial was sent, a student on campus tweeted that many of their peers are “standing outside the dorms all over campus” checking for DPS updates.

The initial email alert sent to community members did not specify where the bomb threat had been received, noting that a threat “was received for ((LOCATION)) on the Princeton University campus.” Minutes later, another alert specified the four buildings — Firestone Library, the Art Museum, the Chapel, and Nassau Hall. Chang clarified via Twitter that those four buildings specifically were the ones being evacuated.

At 1:05 p.m., community members received another Tiger Alert confirming that “there is no threat.”

“Normal activities can resume,” the message noted.

This story is breaking and will continue to be updated as more information becomes available. Last updated at 1:07 pm.