USG discusses remote mental health access, highest voter turnout since 2012

USG on Zoom
Isabel Ting / The Daily Princetonian

In their April 18 meeting, the Undergraduate Student Government (USG) discussed the recent Class Government and U-Council elections and students’ questions regarding off-campus mental health resources.

This year saw one the highest turnouts ever for first-year voting, with 62 percent of the Class of 2023 voting for Class President, the single contested election for their class, according to Chief Elections Manager Lehman Montgomery ’22. All other classes had a voter turnout above 50 percent. Overall, the election saw its highest voter turnout since 2012.

The Mental Health Task Force is drafting a list of answers to frequently asked questions from students to explain the remote resources that remain accessible to students. Notably, the document addresses how to make an appointment with Counseling and Psychological Services (CPS) and how to get referrals for off-campus counselors.

During the President’s Report, USG President Chitra Parikh ’21 spoke about the letter she, USG Vice President Andres Larrieu ’22, and Academics Chair Christian Potter ’22 signed urging graduate and fellowship institutions to consider the varying circumstances students will be facing this semester.

The letter, introduced at last week’s meeting, was drafted by student body presidents from across the country and will be sent to fellowships, scholarships, and other institutions of higher learning. 

The Senate also briefly discussed their first Zoom Office Hours session, which was held last Thursday. Future sessions will be held weekly at 9 p.m. EDT.

The Senate meeting was held at 9:30 p.m. EDT via Zoom.