Bella Alarie ’20 selected fifth overall in WNBA draft

Bella Alarie

Senior Bella Alarie lead the team in scoring with an average of 17.5 points per game this season.

Photo courtesy of Beverly Schaefer / Princeton Athletics

Princeton Senior Bella Alarie was selected by the Dallas Wings on Friday night with the fifth pick in the 2020 WNBA Draft. Alarie, a three-time Ivy League Player of the Year, is the second Princeton player ever selected in the WNBA Draft. 

“I’m so honored to be a part of this family [the WNBA],” Alarie said on-air in an interview with ESPN’s Holly Rowe. “I think I have great versatility as a player… I play really hard, I love the defensive end.. And that’s modeled off a lot of the great players of the WNBA,” Alarie added.

Alarie capped her collegiate career with AP, USBWA, and WBAC Coaches’ Honorable Mention All-America awards in the shortened 2019–2020 season. The small forward averaged 17.5 points and 8.6 rebounds per game for the 26–1 Tigers this year.

The draft was hosted virtually due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. This year’s draft was also the first to be aired live on ESPN’s main channel. The WNBA was scheduled to begin its 2020 season on May 15, but that date has been postponed indefinitely.

The Dallas Wings selected two other players in the first round. Oregon’s Satou Sabally was picked second overall, and South Carolina’s Tyasha Harris was selected seventh overall.