Weekend Review: March 8, 2020

Women’s Basketball at Columbia, Cornell: W 77–52, W 69–50

No. 17 women’s basketball finished their Ivy League play with an undefeated conference record. The Tigers faced Columbia on Friday, defeating them 77–52. Junior Carlie Littlefield contributed 23 points during the game with her final bucket of the first half giving her 1,000 total career points. She is the 26th Princeton player to reach this milestone. Senior captain Bella Alarie had a free throw in the fourth quarter, with roughly 8:30 left in the game, that gave her 1,684 points, the most in Princeton women’s basketball history. The first half ended with the Tigers up 31–22. The Tigers held on to their lead for all of the third quarter and had a 55–39 lead heading into the fourth quarter. The fourth started with a 10–0 run from the Tigers, putting Columbia at a 24-point deficit. Saturday brought the final game of Ivy League conference play for the Tigers. Princeton defeated Cornell 69–50 to extend their winning streak to 22 games. They currently hold the second-longest winning streak in the NCAA. Alarie contributed 17 points to the game while Littlefield added 11. The Tigers finished with a 19-point lead. All but one of the wins from the Tigers this season came by at least 10 points.

Men’s Basketball vs. Columbia, Cornell: W 81–58, L 82–85

Princeton men’s basketball defeated Columbia University on Friday. Throughout the game, Princeton scored a season-high 15 three-pointers and five players scored in double digits. Sophomore Jaelin Llewellyn scored 12 points, sophomore Drew Friberg scored 11 points, and senior Richmond Aririguzoh, senior Jose Morales, and first-year Ryan Langborg finished with 10 points. The Tigers finished strong, with a final score of 81–58. The Tigers went on to suffer a 85–82 loss to Cornell University on Saturday, following a ceremony honoring Princeton’s senior players Richmond Aririguzoh, Jose Morales, and Will Gladson. Princeton held onto the lead going into halftime, but Cornell remained close behind. In the second half, Cornell pulled ahead and secured their win. Nevertheless, Princeton sophomore Jaelin Llewellyn scored a career-high 30 points. The Tigers will play in the Ivy League Tournament this weekend in Cambridge, Mass.

Men’s Volleyball vs. NJIT: L 0–3

No. 11 Princeton men’s volleyball team fell to the New Jersey Institute of Technology in a quick three sets on Friday. The Tigers started the first set strong, taking a 7–6 lead against the NJIT Highlanders. A kill from first-year Alexander Mrkalj tied the score at 15-all to begin the point-for-point battle between the two teams. Princeton had the set point twice in the first set but fell 30–28 to the Highlanders. The second set started with NJIT gaining a quick 6–2 advantage over Princeton before the Tigers came back to trim their lead to only two points. NJIT quickly took a 9-point lead with set point at 24–15 before taking the victory 25–18. The third set began in a similar fashion but a kill from senior George Huhmann and a block from senior Greg Luck put Princeton back in the lead for the first time since the first set. With a 10-all score, NJIT went on a four-point run, extending their lead in front of the Tigers and giving them an advantage that Princeton never recovered from. NJIT came out on top 25–22.

Men’s Hockey at Dartmouth: W 4–3, W 5–4

No. 11 Princeton men’s hockey defeated No. 6 Dartmouth 5–4. The Tigers had a 4–1 lead going into the third period, but the Big Green fought to tie the score and bring the game into overtime. Princeton junior Mark Paolini scored the winning goal with 9:05 remaining in overtime. Sophomore Jeremie Forget had 46 saves, a career-high. This series win is the third ECAC Playoff sweep in Princeton history.

Men’s Lacrosse vs. Rutgers: W 16–11

Men’s lacrosse defeated local rival Rutgers University 16–11 on Saturday in Princeton. First-year Tyler Sandoval had what Princeton Athletics described as his “breakout game,” winning 17 face-offs and picking up 10 ground balls. The face-off specialist also had his first collegiate goal during the game. Other notables from this weekend’s win are senior captain Michael Sowers’ 300th career goal (he scored three during the game) and sophomore middie Jake Stevens’ two goals in 18 seconds in the final minutes of the third quarter. The team outshot the Scarlet Knights 32–37 but turned the ball over an “uncharacteristic 20 times,” five more than last season’s nationally-ranked per-game average. After last weekend’s win, Princeton leads Rutgers 63–31–3. The Tigers now look ahead to their first Ivy League game this season on Saturday when they host Penn.

Male Player of the Week: Michael Sowers, Men’s lacrosse

Michael Sowers led Princeton with three goals and two assists in their game against Rutgers, becoming the 16th player in Division I history to have over 300 career points. He currently sits at 302 points off of 121 goals and 181 assists.

Female Player of the Week: Stephanie Neatby, Women’s ice hockey

Princeton defeated Cornell 3–2 this weekend to secure their first ECAC championship title in program history. The two goals from the Big Red came within the first three minutes but after that, Stephanie Neatby made 31 saves to secure the victory.