Women’s soccer draws Columbia 1–1

25stock2.jpg
Tatum Gee and Princeton earned a draw against Columbia Saturday. Photo Credit: Jack Graham / The Daily Princetonian

Women’s soccer (5–5–3, 1–2–1 Ivy League) tied the Columbia Lions (8–3–2, 2–1–1 Ivy) 1–1 on Saturday night after a contentious match that ended the Tigers’ hopes of a repeat Ivy League championship this season.

Twenty minutes into the first half, a throw in from first-year defender Madison Curry was one-touched by senior midfielder/forward Courtney O’Brien down the line toward the corner for junior midfielder Olivia Kane. Kane crossed the ball into Columbia’s goal box where it bounced three times, right to the feet of senior forward Abby Givens. Wide open, Givens took a shot right down the middle of the goal that went through Columbia keeper Liz Matei’s arms.

The Tigers kept their lead for the next 25 minutes and finished the first half 1–0.

A goal kick by Princeton’s keeper, senior Natalie Grossi, was knocked out of the air by a Columbia header. The Lions quickly counterattacked, and after bringing the ball out wide to the same corner that Kane had her cross-assist from, it was worked inside the box to Columbia’s Shira Cohen. Cohen cut outside of the defender and knocked the ball into the top right corner of Princeton’s goal, out of reach of Grossi’s hands.

The two teams exchanged shots for the remainder of the second half but nothing got past either team’s defense or keeper. Columbia’s Taylor Penn earned a yellow card in the 87th minute.

In the first overtime period, Princeton didn’t hit any shots while Columbia had one. Sophomore forward Gabi Juarez got a yellow card in the 95th minute.

The two teams exchanged attacks in the second OT period, but once again, nothing got through to the net. Notably, Grossi saved a shot from Columbia’s Jessica Schildkraut with seven minutes left in the game.

This weekend’s 1–1 tie puts the Tigers at 1–2–1 and in sixth place in the Ivy League. With three games left, Princeton needs a miracle for another Ivy League championship. Brown, who beat the Tigers 1–0 earlier this fall, sits atop the league with four wins. They would have to lose every single remaining game while Princeton would have to win their final three in order for the Tigers to beat the Bears in the standings. Furthermore, this doesn’t account for Harvard and Yale, who currently sit at 3–1 each.

The Tigers head to Cambridge this weekend to play Harvard (10–3, 3–1 Ivy).