Karen Richardson ’93 named new dean of admission

Karen_Richardson.jpg
Alonso Nichols / Office of Communications

Following her graduation at the University, Karen Richardson ’93 has dedicated her entire career as an administrator to promoting equity and diversity within higher education. Now, she will have the opportunity to continue that mission as the University’s chief admission officer.

In a press release on Tuesday morning, the University announced that Richardson, current dean of admissions and enrollment management at Tufts University, will serve as the new dean of admission beginning on July 1, 2019. She will succeed former Dean of Admission Janet Rapelye, who has served as president of the Consortium on Financing Higher Education since November 2018. Dean Richardson, a native of Roebling, NJ, served as assistant dean for undergraduate admission at the University from 2002–2004, prior to becoming Tufts director of graduate admissions in 2014 and Tufts dean of admissions in 2016.

“Karen Richardson has a remarkable track record as a pioneer in the field of college admissions,” President Christopher L. Eisgruber ’83 said in the statement. “We are fortunate that Karen is returning to Princeton, and I look forward to working with her to bring talented students of all backgrounds to this University.”

Her appointment signals the continuation of the University’s effort to create a more diverse and equitable campus. As assistant dean for undergraduate admission at the University, she focused on diversity recruitment efforts, and before serving in the Tufts admissions office, she joined Tufts as director of diversity recruitment in 2008.

“Her professional experience at the helm of the Tufts admissions office, her heartfelt commitment to diversity and inclusion, and her deep knowledge of this University make her an ideal leader for our Office of Admission,” Eisgruber continued.

Richardson looks forward to this new role and is “thrilled to be taking on this role at a place that has been so impactful on [her] life.”

“Attending Princeton was a transformational experience, and the opportunities I was given here have opened so many doors in my career in education,” Richardson said, according to the press release. “I’m looking forward to giving back and to working with the admissions team to continue to attract stellar applicants and craft great classes for the University.”