Unhinged: Tower entryway adoorns street sign

runaway door.jpg
Courtesy of Bensu Sicim ’19

Early Thursday morning, one of the front doors of Tower Club was found tied to the Bike Route sign on the corner of Prospect Avenue and Washington Road.

Screenshots of emails on the Tower listserv acquired by The Daily Princetonian confirm that Tower president Aliya Somani ’20 was aware of the door’s displacement and claimed to be working with staff to bring the door back around 10 a.m.

Somani declined to comment.

Tower members, who were granted anonymity, confirmed that the night before was a member’s night event, but did not know if the event was connected to the removal of the door in any way.

“It just seemed very random,” said Alec Leng ’21, who saw the door while walking to breakfast.

Leng said he did not initially recognize the door as belonging to Tower, but later in the day when a friend told him Tower’s door had been “stolen,” he made the connection.

Although he did not know how the door came to be outside, Leng said it was likely the result of “some kind of shenanigans.”

Sally Ruybalid ’21 passed by the door on her way to breakfast at Colonial around 8:15 a.m. Her immediate reaction was one of confusion.

“I noticed it right away, and was like ‘why is there a door in the middle of the street?’” Ruybalid said. “I have no words.”

Ruybalid noted that, at the time she saw the door, there was also a cardboard sign near the door, but she was unsure of what the sign said.

Bensu Sicim ’19 passed by the door around 11 a.m. and took a picture of it. When she took the picture, the rope holding the door to the sign was absent, and the door was leaning on the sign.

As of 12:20 p.m., the ‘Prince’ confirmed that the door was no longer tied to or leaning on the street sign. According to an anonymous Tower member, the door was returned safely to the club.