Levi Sanders, son of Bernie Sanders, speaks about progressive goals for New Jersey

On Sunday, Levi Sanders, son of former United States presidential candidate Bernie Sanders, spoke to a crowded room of University students, staff, and community members about progressive values for New Jersey and the upcoming gubernatorial race in the state.

Sanders works as a senior analyst of social security disability insurance at Cambridge & Somerville Legal Services. He was on campus to speak on behalf of gubernatorial candidate Phil Murphy, who is the leading candidate in the New Jersey Democratic primary and the likely favorite to win the party’s nomination in the Democratic primary on June 6.

When asked why he had endorsed Murphy instead of John Wisniewski, who ran Bernie Sanders' campaign in New Jersey, Levi Sanders said that he thinks Murphy's positions align with his own.

“Phil Murphy believes in a $15 minimum wage,” Sanders said. “He's a gutsy guy! He believes in the legalization of marijuana. He believes in criminal justice reform,” Sanders noted.

Sanders also spoke about the future of the Democratic Party. He mentioned that Democrats will need to pursue a 50-state solution to win back the presidency in 2020, and he noted that Democrats will have to do more to include the voices of all Americans in future campaign platforms.

“The Democratic Party basically gave up on much of the country,” Sanders said about the 2016 election. He solicited responses from the audience about how the Democratic Party can work to become the party of working-class and middle-class voters.

Sanders closed by taking questions from audience members about the upcoming gubernatorial race and why he has chosen to support Murphy in the election.

“[Murphy] believes in all of things that I believe,” Sanders mentioned. “He wants to give back,” he later noted.

The talk was sponsored by Princeton for Phil Murphy and took place in Frist 302 at 1 p.m. on April 30.