Senate delegation calls for investigation of Carl Icahn ’57

Eight senators wrote a letter to the acting heads of the Futures Trading Commission, the Securities and Exchange Commission, and the Environmental Protection Agency on Tuesday, calling for a federal investigation into Carl Icahn ’57’s investment in the oil refiner CVR Energy, Inc., the New York Times has reported.

Icahn, a billionaire investor and generous donor to the University, currently serves as an adviser to President Trump.

Icahn’s donations funded the Carl C. Icahn Laboratory, which houses the Lewis-Sigler Institute for Integrated Genomics.

Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) led the delegation of concerned senators. According to the Times, the senators are worried that CVR Energy, which is controlled by Icahn, “made decisions based on nonpublic information it had access to thanks [to] Icahn’s close ties to the Trump administration.”

Warren did not respond to request for comment.

Besides Warren, Senators Debbie Stabenow (D-MI), Thomas Carper (D-DE), Sherrod Brown (D-OH), Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI), Tammy Baldwin (D-WI), Tammy Duckworth (D-IL), and Amy Klobuchar (D-MN) also signed the party.

These senators’ concerns were first expressed when Icahn’s informal role was still being established. In March, several Democratic senators sent a letter to Icahn requesting that he clarify his role with the Trump administration and indicating they were concerned about possible conflicts of interest. The March 27 letter was signed by Senators Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI), Elizabeth Warren (D-MA), Patrick Leahy (D-VT), Sherrod Brown (D-OH), Jeff Merkley (D-OR), Tammy Baldwin (D-WI), and Tammy Duckworth (D-IL).

Icahn has partnered with Trump in the past on business ventures, including his announcement that he is planning to start a super PAC with the president to end corporate tax inversions. Icahn has also donated $33,400 to the Republican National Committee, $5,400 to Donald J. Trump for President, Inc., and $50,000 to Trump Victory, according to an FEC report.

Icahn did not respond to request for comment.