Men and women's fencing teams achieve Ivy League championship titles

For the second year in succession, both the Princeton men and women’s fencing teams came home with the Ivy League Championship Title. This year’s Ivy League Round-Robins were hosted by the Penn Quakers at the Tse Ping-Cheng Cheung Ling Sports Center in Philadelphia.

This victory marks the seventh women’s title in the past eight years. With a 6-0 record at the end of the weekend, the team went undefeated against all six other Ivy League schools in the tournament. The hardest match came last against the Columbia Lions, with both opposing teams going into it with 5-0 records. One of the major challenges of this match was maintaining the energy and drive with which the team began the day. Junior sabre fencer and captain Allison Lee remarked, “Columbia was definitely the most challenging and was also the last match of the tournament, so we had to stay focused and driven the entire weekend.”

Lee remarked, “I’m so proud of this team, throughout this season, and especially this weekend, we always fight until the end and never give up. Our confidence in each other and support for each other are what truly pushes us towards victory.”

Senior épée fencer and 2016 Olympian Katharine Holmes played a major role in the women’s victory. Holmes won all 18 of her matches, clinching her last one against Columbia to give her team the title. She was the only fencer, among both males and females, to go undefeated in every match.

The men’s team tied the Penn Quakers and the Columbia Lions for first place, all teams ending the weekend with a 4-1 record. The men achieved an 18-9 win against Penn on Sunday, but they lost to Columbia 15-12 later on in the day.

Other notable performances came from sabreists Edward Chin and Maia Chamberlain, and épéeists Wesley Johnson and Alex House, who went as All-Ivy Leaguers for the weekend.