Upcoming yearbook to feature 3D effects, more undergraduate portraits

The 2017 yearbook will reflect new and upgraded improvements in an attempt to better encapsulate the University experience for all members of the undergraduate class, according to Vojislav Mitrovic ’18, executive director of Princeton Yearbook Agency.

Some of the changes include student portraits for every class carand a 3D animation effect that allows viewers with smartphones and tablets to access unique videos linked to particular photos in the yearbook, according to Mitrovic.

“The 2017 yearbook will be the first yearbook in the last 153 years to have portraits of every class. We want this yearbook to be a yearbook of all undergraduate students,” Mitrovic said. “We want to encompass the experiences of all four class years.”

Past yearbooks have only included portraits of seniors, but the 2017 yearbook intends to include members of all class, a decision which has been approved by members of College Council.

The 3D animation effect is also unique to the upcoming yearbook, as users with smartphones and tablets are to merely put the camera above an image to view the animated clip associated with it.

“Videos of Lawnparties, P-Rade, Commencement, and other big events on campus will be combined into one animated video,” Mitrovic said.

Mitrovic added that drones with attached cameras will be flying at events to capture clips for the yearbook.

Jovan Jeremic ’17, marketing director for the Princeton Yearbook Agency, said that the agency is working to publicize this to as many students as possible, so that first years, sophomores, and juniors will be motivated to take a portrait for the yearbook.

“We were reaching out to RCAs, DSLs, and College Councils in order to reach to the students. It’s kind of difficult to get the word out to all four years,” Jeremic said. “The yearbook is completely changed and completely redesigned, and we want to entice students to come take pictures.”

The agency is working towards developing strategies to get more students to take pictures, one strategy being an inter-collegiate competition to get first year students to take pictures.

“We’re going to promote competition between the colleges. Some people look back and the first real memory of Princeton is walking into Dillon gym for Clash of the Colleges. We want to use that same idea,” Jeremic said.

He added that the yearbook agency’s goal is to get 70 percent of the students’ photos taken.

“Time really flies when you’re at Princeton and it’s hard to enjoy the small moments,” he said. “We want to help preserve that for students.”

The student portraits for first year students along with sophomores and juniors who are studying abroad in the spring will take place this Monday and Tuesday. The rest of the sophomores and juniors will take their portraits in the spring.