With victory over Dartmouth, Tigers claim 11th Ivy League championship title

Football 9/14

The Princeton Tigers (8-2, 6-1 Ivy League) overcame Dartmouth (4-6, 1-6 Ivy League) this Saturday to clinch a share of their first Ivy League title since 2013.

Dartmouth jumped ahead first, scoring a touchdown on their initial possession of the game, but the Tigers evened the score late in the first quarter with a one-yard run by junior quarterback John Lovett. However, the Big Green struck again in the second, and their defense continued to frustrate Princeton’s drives through the remainder of the first half. Princeton entered the locker rooms at the conclusion of the second trailing 14-10, with their title hopes in jeopardy.

However, the Tigers maintained their composure and continued to play the hard-nosed style of football that has repeatedly defined their season. Princeton scored a second touchdown in the third quarter, while their defense denied Dartmouth the end zone for the entire third period in a masterful performance. In the fourth, the Tigers finally broke the game open, as Lovett passed for one touchdown and sophomore running back Charles Volcker punched in for another to put Princeton ahead, 38-14. From there, the Tigers never looked back and held on for their final 38-21 win.

With the victory, Princeton has now claimed its 11th Ivy League championship. The Tigers will share their conference championship with fellow 6-1 team Penn, as Harvard dropped out of the race with its loss to Yale.