Roll Call nominates Hillary Clinton as first female Democratic presidential candidate

PHILADELPHIA—The Democratic Party conducted a roll call vote to formally nominate former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton as the party’s candidate for president of the United States. Clinton is the first woman to win the nomination of a major political party.

State party leaders read aloud the vote counts for both candidates for the Democratic nomination, Clinton and Senator Bernie Sanders. Party leaders for U.S. territories, the District of Columbia and Democrats abroad also had floor time to announce their vote counts.

Baltimore mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake conducted the Democratic national convention and the roll call vote. After asking for each state’s vote counts, Rawlings-Blake repeated the state’s total votes for each candidate.

Many party leaders announced their votes for Clinton as votes for “the next president of the United States.” Others made the declaration “the first woman president of the Untied States.”

Larry Sanders, Bernie Sanders’ brother, cast the final vote for Democrats Abroad. The elder Sanders was interrupted by applause.

“I cast my vote for Bernie Sanders,” Sanders said to loud applause throughout the Wells Fargo Center. Chants of “Bernie! Bernie!” erupted in the hall.

“We have votes in Congress just like you,” said Muriel Bowser, mayor of the District of Columbia. Of the federal district’s 44 votes, five were cast for Sanders.

The entire hall loudly cheered for Representative John Lewis when he announced the vote totals for Georgia.

When the Illinois delegation announced its vote counts, one party leader nearly broke down announcing the votes for Clinton.“This one’s for you Hill, 98 votes,” she said.

When Indiana announced its vote count, a delegate declared, “so Mike Pence and Donald Trump, you are officially fired.”

When Pence was tapped to be the Republican nominee for vice president, he gave up his reelection campaign for governor of Indiana. The Indiana delegation noted its intention to replace Pence with a Democratic governor. John Gregg is the Democratic gubernatorial candidate in Indiana.

“58 percent of our membership is female and we believe in equal pay for equal work,” said leader of the Iowa delegation.

“We will not be defined by one natural disaster or one act of violence. Louisiana will be defined by unity,” said one Louisiana party leader of its delegation, referring to the recent tragedies in Baton Rouge.

Meanwhile, the Maine delegation leader noted that “Maine has not voted for a Republican in nearly three decades.”

When Minnesota Senator Amy Klobuchar announced her state’s vote counts, she noted that Minnesota is “the state of Prince’s ‘Purple Rain’” and was the first state to put a woman on a national party ticket. Representative Geraldine Ferraro was the vice president nominee for Walter Mondale’s 1984 Democratic bid for the presidency, when Republican Ronald Reagan won reelection.

New York’s delegation noted that the state was “the birthplace of women’s rights at Seneca Falls.” New York Governor Andrew Cuomo also noted its efforts towards progressive measures such as a $15 minimum wage, marriage equality and partnerships with organized labor.

Cuomo concluded by adding that New York is “the proud home of William Jefferson Clinton and home of the next president of the United States.”

Around the hall, conventioneers held signs that read “Do the most good,” a Clinton campaign slogan.

The Missouri delegation’s state party leaders noted that the University of Missouri is the alma mater of vice presidential nominee Tim Kaine. Missouri’s delegation also includes the youngest delegate to the 2016 DNC, 17-year-old Rachel Gonzalez.

“A state that, while divided in our primary, is united to change this country,” the leaders said.

Ohio Democratic Party Chair David Pepper noted that Ohio is the home to JamesObergefell, “who took on marriage discrimination and made marriage equality the law of the land.”

“This Ohio land helped love win last summer … [we] know this: love trumps hate.” Ohio cast 62 votes for Sanders and 98 votes for Clinton.

The New Jersey delegation cast 45 votes for Sanders and 90 votes for Clinton.

“We are the state that started the revolution and we want to be the state to continue the revolution again,” a New Jersey delegation party leader said.

After South Dakota’s vote counts were announced, Clinton officially clinched the nomination by winning more than the necessary 2,382 out of 4,763 total delegates.

Vermont passed when asked for vote counts. Some delegates of various state delegations abstained. At the end of roll call, Rawlings-Blake returned to Vermont.

A Vermont party leader noted that her state was “the state that helped begin and win the political revolution of 2016 thanks to our Senator, Bernie Sanders.”

At this, the crowd drowned the delegation leader out with cheers. Vermont cast 22 votes for Sanders and five for Clinton.

Sanders then took the microphone and moved to suspend the rules and make Clinton the Party’s formal nominee for president.

Clinton is expected to give her acceptance speech during primetimeon Thursday.

Associate copy editor Sam Garfinkle contributed reporting