Men's basketball beat Saint Peter's in first game at Dillon since 1969

The men’s basketball team (2-0) returned to their old stomping ground in Dillon Gymnasium as the team played its first game there since Jan. 11, 1969. The team hosted Saint Peter’s (1-3) as part of this fixture in front of a sell-out crowd of 1,306.

After winning their season opener against Rider in Lawrenceville, N.J., last Friday to the tune of 64-56, the Tigers hoped to avenge last season’s December loss to Saint Peter’s, where they were defeated 46-60 away.

But the fortunes were different this time around as the Tigers used the raucous crowd to their advantage, winning the game 75-72. The scoreline suggested the game was much tighter than it actually was, as the Tigers held a wire-to-wire lead and closed out the game in quite comfortable fashion.

The Tigers ran out to a quick 5-0 lead within the first minute and extended their first half lead to as much as eight by the 9:09 mark with a 23-15 lead. However, the Tigers could not break away as their opponents kept coming back, and they only managed a one possession lead at halftime with the score at 34-31.

The Tigers did manage to lead by nine points in the second-half after a three-pointer from sophomore guard Amir Bell, but failed to close the game out after that. The Tigers did allow the Peacocks to get back into the game, and they got as close as two with a minute left in the game, but the Tigers managed to close out the game with some clutch free-throw shooting.

Junior forward Henry Caruso led the Tigers in points, as he set a career-high with 23 points. He also added eight rebounds in a fantastic performance. The Tigers also got a great game from Bell, who had 12 points and a career-high nine rebounds. Other notable performances include sophomore forward Jackson Forbes, who scored nine points in 12 minutes of action, all from behind the arc and all in the first half.

The Peacocks got strong games from their star players, as guard Antwon Portley scored 20 points, while sixth man Cameron Jones added 21 points off the bench on 7-11 shooting. The Peacocks’ center Quadir Welton also had a solid game, contributing 14 points, seven rebounds and three blocks in 33 minutes of action.

The men’s basketball team returns to the court this Wednesday as they host Lafayette in their third game of the season. The team returns to their home court of Jadwin Gymnasium and hopes to continue their perfect start to the season. Tip-off is slated at 7 p.m. and the game can be followed live on the Ivy League Digital Network.

The men’s team will then host Fairleigh Dickinson on the following Monday.