Updated: Second fondling incident reported on campus

The second fondling incident in four days was reported Sunday at around 4:20 p.m. between Whig Hall and Murray-Dodge Hall.

The case follows afondling incident reported on Thursday night outside the Friend Center.

"The incidents are still under investigation but at this time there is no indication that they are related," University spokesperson Martin Mbugua said.

In the more recent scenario, according to an email from the Department of Public Safety, a female student reported that an unidentified man struck her buttocks as she was walking north. She was not injured.

The suspect then reportedly fled by bicycling toward Firestone Library.

The suspect was described by the student as light-complexioned, red-haired and wearing a white shirt and backpack, the email said. He was accompanied by another light-complexioned man wearing a blue shirt and backpack on a bicycle. Both men are about 5 feet 11 inches tall and around 20 years old.

As with the incident on Thursday, the DPS searched the area but could not locate the suspect.

Directed patrols will guard the area through the night, according to the email.

To prevent similar incidents in the future, Mbugua said the DPS will continue investigating the incidents and collaborating with members of the University community and other law enforcement agencies.

Both the Sunday and Thursday emails about fondling incidents used the subject line "Timely Warning-Fondling Incident," whereas the DPS previously labeled all such announcements "Campus Safety Alert." Mbugua noted that the change represents the DPS's effort to be clearer about the nature of the alert, in line with the requirements of the federal Clery Act.The Clery Act requiresuniversities with a campus public safety agency to inform the campus community in a timely way of certain community crimes that pose ongoing threats.