News & Notes: Cotsen Childrens Library named Carle Honors Award recipient

The Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art named the University's Cotsen Children's Library a 2015 Carle Honors Award recipient, according to a press release from the library.

There will be a ceremony this Thursday in New York City at which representatives for the Cotsen Children's Library will accept the "Angel Award."

The award commends individuals and organizations who have worked to improve literacy among children. The recognition is one of the four awards that recognizes financial support for illustrated children’s book art exhibitions, related projects and education programs.

The Cotsen Children’s Library, which is open to public, has a research collection of illustrated children’s books, artwork, manuscripts and toys created since the 15th Century from around the world. The library is located inside the University’s Firestone Library.

The library took on the namesake of Lloyd E. Cotsen ’50, an Emeritus Charter Trustee of the University.

The Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art is a non-profit organization in Amherst, Mass., with a mission of inspiring a love of art and reading through picture books. Eric Carle is an author and illustrator of more than 70 books, including “The Very Hungry Caterpillar,” a 1969 children’s classic.