Tigers sweep Brown in weekend doubleheader

The Princeton softball team swept a doubleheader against Brown on Saturday, finishing both games with a final score of 1-0. The Tigers (9-13 overall, 2-0 Ivy League) came out of the weekend in first place in the Ivy South division.

The first game opened with a home run in the bottom of the first from senior infielder Alyssa Schmidt to give the Tigers the 1-0 lead they maintained for the entire game. Junior pitcher Shanna Christian is back and better than ever after putting on an incredible showing, pitching the entire game while giving up only four hits to help the Tigers clinch their victory over the Bears. The game was a close one, with both the Tigers and the Bears seeing three innings with a runner left on third base, but a strong Tiger showing kept Brown off the board.

The second game saw freshman pitcher Ashley LaGuardia start on the mound, giving up only a single and a walk. Senior pitcher Meredith Brown gave up two singles in the second inning with only one out before two outs in the infield ended the inning and kept Brown from scoring. After Brown catcher/third baseman Emily Springfield hit a flyball to the outfield in the top of the third, neither team got on base until another Brown single in the top of the fifth inning.

The heat was on in the seventh inning as neither team had yet managed to get on the board . Brown utility Grayson Metzger advanced to third base in the top of the seventh before a third out put the Tigers at bat. A single to the left by freshman outfielder Kylee Pierce gave the Tigers the momentum they needed, with a grounder from Schmidt and a bunt from sophomore infielder Haley Hineman giving Princeton a run to win the game. Pierce went three-for-six on the day and marked the second time the rookie had a two-hit game as a Tiger.

Saturday saw Brown throw six shutout innings for the first time, breaking a previous personal record of four innings. Saturday was the second time that Christian threw seven shutout innings in her career. The Tigers have now either swept or split the past 18 doubleheaders against Brown, with Princeton sweeping for the third pair of games in a row.

Riding the momentum from this successful weekend, the Tigers will return on Tuesday at 4 p.m. to face off against Rider. After this game, however, they enter the most crucial part of their schedule, playing almost exclusively Ivy League teams until they reach the end of the season.