News & Notes: Yale to offer online education program for prospective physician associates

Yale plans to expand online education with a “blended” program in the physician associates program, according to The Yale Daily News.

Physician associates are healthcare professionals licensed to practice medicine with doctors.

The online degree option carries the same weight and price as a Yale campus degree. YaleSchool of Medicine faculty approve the PA program’s on-site clinical locations and teach the online curriculum.

Program director James Van Rhee described the new platform as comparable in quality to traditional methods of teaching.

“The blended program would provide the same didactic and clinical training that on-campus students receive, with key improvements such as immersive, interactive course videos that all of our students — both those in the traditional program and in the new blended program — can review as often as they want,” Van Rhee said.

Yale plans to partner with 2U, an educational platform that integrates on-site clinical experience with an online curriculum that has previously collaborated with universities including Georgetown and Northwestern. 2U’s technology would allow students to access live classes, coursework and interact face-to-face with peers and Yale faculty.

The PA program is pending approval by the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant.