Letter to the Editor: March 2, 2015

To the editors:

I am writing to clarify some points raised in the March 2, 2015, article about the work of the Task Force on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.

The Task Force is working to identify ways to help Princeton enhance the campus experience of respect and fairness for people of all identities. It’s important to note that the Task Force is an advisory group; it makes recommendations but does not have the authority to “require” actions from the University.

The University already has a robust system for anonymous reporting through EthicsPoint, an independent provider of hotline services. This system, which has been in place for years, can be used by any member of the campus community who wishes to anonymously report discrimination, harassment or any ethical violation.

I encourage students who feel they have experienced discrimination or harassment to consult a confidential resource, such as Wokie Nwabueze, the University Ombuds Officer, or the Sexual Harassment/Assault Advising, Resources and Education (SHARE) office. More information about reporting options can be found on my office’s website.

The Task Force, whose work is still in the preliminary stage, has not surveyed students nor collected examples of discrimination or harassment. It is important to learn from students about the campus experience, and I wish to assure all students that any information-gathering will be conducted formally and inclusively. In the meantime, I hope that students will share their thoughts through the Make Your Voice Heard online feedback form.

Sincerely,

Michele Minter

Vice Provost for Institutional Equity and Diversity