Former student admitted to pretrial intervention program

A former member of the Class of 2016 alleged to have recorded a video of a female student while she was showering was admitted into a pretrial intervention program last week, according to a press release from the Mercer County Prosecutor’s Office on Friday.

David Chesleyvoluntarily surrendered to and was charged by the Department of Public Safety on Sept. 29.

A female student reported to DPS on the morning of Sunday, Sept. 28that she had seen a cell phone pointed at her while she was showeringand that she subsequently screamed. The individual allegedly fled the area before she could identify that person.

Following an investigation, a Department of Public Safety investigation identified Chesley as a suspect.The19-year-old was then charged with third-degree invasion of privacy and entered a plea of not guilty on Feb. 3.

Chesley andKim Otis, Chesley’s defense attorney,did not respond to a request for comment.

The conditions of the pretrial intervention program include Chesley having no contact with the victim, undergoing a psychological evaluation related to the charges, following up with any treatment recommendations and acquiring and sustaining employment or enrolling in school.

In New Jersey, any defendant charged with an indictable offense is eligible to apply for pretrial intervention, but state judicial guidelines explain that the process generally is not open to those with prior convictions.

If completed successfully, the program is expected to last for 36 months, at which point the charges will be dropped permanently.

University spokesperson Martin Mbugua declined to comment.