Fit Tips: How to choose the best Greek yogurt

Do you ever look back on your childhood and wonder how you went through each day without a particular food? That’s how I feel about Greek yogurt. (And peanut butter, now that I think of it.) To be honest, I wasn’t even a huge yogurt fan growing up. Unless they were sugary individual packets like “Tubes” or “Minigo,” I wasn't really interested in some fruity goop.

I can’t actually remember the first time I ate Greek yogurt. I suspect it was sometime in freshman year after I learned why protein was important. For the past three years, this creamy, protein-rich substance has become one of my staple foods. In fact, at one point I was consuming so much Greek yogurt that I had to research how much Greek yogurt was “safe” to have in a day. I found an article that claimed that eighteen ounces of Greek yogurt was permissible per day, the equivalent of three individual Chobani containers.

Since then, I’ve very much taken this claim to heart, often enjoying up to three containers of Greek yogurt daily, and frequently hoarding containers in my backpack … I mean my fridge. The times at which I consume the yogurt vary: Sometimes I’ll have two at breakfast and one at lunch or sometimes one at each meal. However, although this foodie phenomenon has been popping up absolutely everywhere, it is still necessary to be aware of a few things when selecting your own Greek yogurt in order to reap its health benefits.

Fat: 0% vs low-fat. Nonfat dairy products have been all the rage in the past few years. Thankfully, recent research has shown that certain kinds of fat are actually beneficial to your diet, especially when consumed in moderate amounts. So in the event you actually prefer low-fat Greek yogurt to nonfat, don’t be afraid to go for the creamier version. Not only will it keep you feeling satiated, but the fat actually helps you absorb calcium. If you don’t like the taste of dairy fat, try eating your yogurt alongside some nuts, nut butter, avocado or eggs. One of my favorite ways to eat plain yogurt is to mix in some peanut butter and slice a banana on top for a filling breakfast. If you need a little extra sweetness, try adding a drizzle of honey on top!

Sugar: Sugar is arguably the biggest issue when comparing different varieties of Greek yogurt. In a world where processed foods are common and our taste buds have become almost insensitive to sweetness, I am saddened to say that the health food community is no exception. Many companies over-sweeten their Greek yogurt, sending the sugar content sky-high. Choose plain yogurt, and add your own fruit or mix-ins. By doing so, you can choose less sugary, more natural options and also exercise portion control! If you’re in a pinch and don’t have this luxury, choose a Greek yogurt that’s not blended (such as “fruit on the bottom”) and don’t mix in the fruit. I find that most varieties have enough flavor and are sweet enough on their own without the added fruity flavor, so I rarely mix in the fruit on the bottom.

Protein: Most varieties of Greek yogurt are fairly similar when comparing protein content and vary mostly by fat content. Plain 0% fat varieties will have more protein (and less sugar) than low-fat or full fat, but I don’t find this difference significant. However, if you’re selecting a higher fat content yogurt with added sweetener over a nonfat plain variety, the amount of protein could vary from eight to 20 grams per serving — a huge difference! Bottom line: Try to choose a Greek yogurt that contains upwards of 10 grams of protein per serving.

Well, it's time for my afternoon snack: Greek yogurt!