U. receives second highest number of applications in history for Class of 2019

The Office of Admission has received and processed 26,976 applications for the Class of 2019 as of Jan. 6, the second highest in the University's history, Dean of Admission Janet Rapelye said.

Though some regular decision applications are still being processed into the system, this number accounts for both regular decision and early action applications, Rapelye said. In total, 3,850 students applied early.

The number of applications received this year marks an increase of just over 1 percent from the 26,641 applications received for the Class of 2018.

“It’s very hard to predict how big the applicant pool will be,” Rapelye said. “We’re very pleased with this applicant pool. We know we can handle the volume because it’s about the same as last year.”

The number of applications was only surpassed by the Class of 2015, which received a record 27,189 applications.

The number of applications has remained approximately constant, between 26,000 and 27,000, since 2010.

Because applications are still coming into the system, the Office of Admission has yet to process the demographic information of applicants.

“We have seen an increase in the quality as well as the volume. We’re also seeing more students applying from a wider socioeconomic background or array of backgrounds,” Rapelye said. “And we welcome that. We want Princeton to be accessible to students from every background.”

The University has already offered admission to767 single-choice early action applicants,with a target number of 1,308 students in the Class of 2019. While the Office of Admission offers more spots than are available based on their yield predictions, approximately541 slots are available for applicants in the regular decision pool shouldall of the students admitted early choose to enroll in the Class of 2019.

The University has rejected fewer and fewer applicants in the early action round over time while increasing the number of deferred students.According to figures reported by The Daily Princetonian, 23 percent of applicants were rejected early for the Class of 2016, 7.9 percent of applicants were rejected early for the Class of 2017, 1.3 percent of applicants were rejected early forthe Class of 2018 and approximately 4 percent of applicants were rejected early forthe Class of 2019.

Rapelye attributed the drop for the Class of 2018 to the technical failures of the Common Application website around the time when applications were due for early action that year.

“There’s no formula. We approach it differently each year. We’ll look at the deferred applicants in the context of the regular pool,” Rapelye said, explaining that the decision to defer rather than reject more or fewer students is a decision approached independently of past years each new admissions round.

Rapelye reported that there is a high yield from the group of students who are deferred to regular decision and subsequently admitted, but said there is no advantage or disadvantage to being deferred.

Harvard admitted 16.5 percent of its 5,919 early action applicants for its Class of 2019. Five hundred forty-one, or 9.1 percent, of these early applicants were rejected, and 72.5 percent were deferred to regular decision.

Meanwhile, Yale admitted 16 percent of its 4,693 early action applicants to the Class of 2019; 57 percent were deferred, while 26 percent were denied admission.

Neither Harvard nor Yale has released data on the total number of applications received yet.