Gift Guides: Sister

Bissinger’s Holly Holiday Petit Fours, $34.00/box, bissingers.com

Nothing says sisterly love like a box of chocolates. If the thought of shopping makes you cringe, order a box of petit fours, small cakes with a solid chocolate exterior, from Bissinger’s, a St. Louis chocolatier that sells online and even packages its product in festive gold boxes. While See’s, Lindt, and Malley’s (shout out to my fellow Clevelanders) are reliable standbys, these petit fours are quite arguably the greatest hidden gem in the chocolate industry. Available in two cake flavors, vanilla and chocolate, I’d advise opting for the dark chocolate, but it never hurts to order an additional box of each for unexpected gift emergencies. If you enjoy William-Sonoma’s bestselling peppermint bark, be sure to check out the Bissinger’s version, whose dark-chocolate base gives it a richer taste.

Vintage Postcards, Set of 10, $6.95, Paper Source, 82 Nassau Street, paper-source.com

Paper Source is dangerous for the stationary-addicted, and it was hard to stay focused on finding the perfect holiday gift while avoiding justifying a Crane & Co. shopping spree. Available both on Paper Source's website and its Nassau Street location, these adorable vintage postcards are perfect for those sisters who are bored with Skype, Facebook, texting and MySpace (just kidding) communications. This gift shows that, despite your college ways, you’re still a homebody at heart, and you’ll be thankful when you open up your Frist mailbox and find a handwritten note alongside the usual Clinique sale flyer.

Escape the Ordinary Idiom Bangle, $58.00, Kate Spade, 10 Hulfish Street, katespade.com

Give your sister an automatic confidence boost with this cute, playful and sassy Kate Spade bangle. With “Escape the Ordinary” boldly printed on the outside and “Now You’re Talking” engraved on the inside, this bangle’s girl-power vibe makes it a whimsical gift for a sister of any age. Known for its impeccable, colorful packaging, Kate Spade makes it easy to discover fun and fashionable finds.