Sports Shorts: Men's and women's basketball

Men’s basketball: Princeton looking to extend winning streak

The men’s basketball team will try to win its third straight game of the season Tuesday night when it takes on George Mason in Jadwin Gymnasium. The Patriots (4-1 overall) are possibly the toughest non-Ivy opponent that the Tigers will play this regular season, having lost in the finals of the CBI tournament last postseason. A win for the Tigers (3-1) would give them their best record to start the season since the 2006-07 season. The two teams are meeting for the first time and look fairly similar statistically going into the game. Despite the loss of Hummer ’13, Princeton’s offense has looked fantastic. They have recorded the highest point total (285) that any Princeton squad has recorded through four games since the 1987-88 season. An interesting aspect to watch will be the three-point battle, as the Tigers are shooting 38.9 percent from downtown while the Patriots are only allowing a 27.8 percent mark from beyond the arc. The team will then take on Bucknell on the road on Saturday night. The Tigers beat the Bison (3-2) by 12 last season, and if the Tigers beat them again this time around after also beating the Patriots, then they would have the best start to a season since 1997-98.

Women’s basketball: Tigers hope to rebound in Jadwin

The women’s basketball team will have three games over Thanksgiving break. They will first try to rebound from a tough loss to Georgetown by taking on a strong St. Joseph’s squad. The Hawks have been playing well all season, with their only loss coming to then-No.15 LSU. The Tigers have also struggled against the Hawks historically, as they have only won two of the 11 meetings between the two teams. Those two wins did come in their two most recent matchups however, including a 69-59 win last season. Rebounding will be important as the Hawks average 33.6 rebounds per game on the year and rebounding was a worry going into the season for the Tigers. Princeton will then start a four-game road trip when they travel to Oregon to take on Portland State on Saturday and Oregon on Sunday. The Vikings are winless through their first two games of the season while the Ducks have lost two straight after starting the season 2-0.