Tigers hope to improve record, stay perfect at home

Despite losing four of its first five games this season, the men’s soccer team will look to stay undefeated at home this weekend as it hosts a pair of teams from the Sunshine State. The Tigers (1-4) will kick off against Florida International University Friday night, then host Florida Gulf Coast Universityon Sundayafternoon.

The Tigers’ record belies the improvements that the team has made in recent weeks. Princeton’s 3-0 loss to Fairleigh Dickinson three weeks ago was the result of disorganization and inefficiencies that did not show in a close 3-2 loss to No. 12 Georgetown last Sunday.

“1-4 isn’t a great record, but we’re happy where we are as a team,” sophomore defenseman Josh Miller said. “After the Georgetown game, we know we’re good enough. The soccer we’ve played in the last couple of games has been so much better than the soccer we played in our first game. We just need to finish out and get results.”

FIU (2-4) comes intoFridayon a two-match slide, with losses to Florida Atlantic and North Florida in the last two weeks. Again, however, the record does not tell the whole story–every loss the Panthers have suffered to date has been by one goal. Junior midfielder Roberto Alterio and junior forward Quentin Albrecht present the biggest combined threat for the Tigers. The international duo – Alterio is from Argentina and Albrecht from Germany – has been good for a combined six goals and 14 total points in the Panthers’ first seven contests. Having blown hard-earned leads in their previous two games, the Tigers understand the importance of strong defense going into the weekend.

“Not giving up soft goals is a big thing for us,” Miller said. “The fact that we competed really well against Georgetown, but that they still managed to find a way to score on soft mistakes, is something we need to buckle down on. We need to make sure that our final pass in the final third of the field is good.”

“The biggest part for us is staying focused,” sophomore forward Thomas Sanner said. "Before other games like Loyola and Georgetown, it was mostly tactical stuff. But the mental side is the big focus going into the weekend. We can’t give up soft goals.”

FGCU (0-5-1) will visit Penn Friday night before heading to Princetonon Sundayafternoon. The Eagles have had trouble building off the momentum of last season, in which they went 11-5-3 and qualified for the NCAA Tournament. Sophomore midfielder/forward Felipe DeSousa and junior midfielder/forward Santiago Echeverri will be the two primary offensive weapons that the Tigers must shut down if they want to close out September with a win. Together, the two Florida natives have combined for six goals and 12 points to date.

Having played four of its last five games on the road, Princeton will to return back to Roberts Stadium for three of its next four games. Playing before a home crowd could provide the exact atmosphere the Tigers need to start rolling before the Ivy League season commences.

“We’re really excited to be at home and be in front of the fans,” Miller said. “Our gameon Sundayis on ESPNU, too, which is also big for us. It’s really important for us to get these two wins before going into the Ivy League season. The level of urgency is as high as it gets.”

“Everything’s coming together, we’re definitely improving,” Sanner said. “But we need to get the wins. We’ve dominated some teams and some stretches, especially during the Georgetown match. These wins are important more for getting our mind right and getting a winning mentality right before the Ivy League season. It’s just about finding a way to win.”

The Tigers kick off against FIU Friday at7 p.m.Game time against FGCU is set for4 p.m. on Sunday afternoon. Both games are at Roberts Stadium.