On Tap with ... Sarah Daschbach

20130924_OnTapSarahDaschbach_MarkZhang_1728

This week, the ‘Prince’ sat down with sophomore libero Sarah Daschbach of the women’s volleyball team. The Tigers’ Ivy League opener is on Friday against Penn in Dillon Gymnasium. Daschbach chatted about “Sweet Caroline,” Lake Tahoe and getting hit in the face.

Q: Where are you from, and what is it like there?

A: I’m from Atherton, California. It’s kind of near Palo Alto. The weather’s really nice; it’s a fun place to be.

Q: How did you start playing volleyball?

A: In fourth grade I was on the training team, and I was pretty good at it back then, so I decided to take it on and go try out for a team and see what it would be like. I was really surprised when I made the team. I kind of just kept playing from there, loved it ever since.

Q: What is the most common misconception about volleyball?

A: Maybe because it’s not a cardio sport, people think we don’t work very hard, but it actually takes a lot of energy. We dive on the floor a lot, and you gotta have quick feet, so we are getting a good workout even though it might not look like it.

Q: Do you have any pre-competition rituals?

A: Before every home game we all get in a circle and sing “Sweet Caroline” and dance to it —it’s really awesome. [Sophomore] Francie [Jenkins] does her dance in the middle. That’s always a great routine. She kind of bounces around in there, and then we’re ready to go.

Q: Are you superstitious at all?

A: Now that we’re wearing black knee pads — last year we were wearing white — I’ve been wearing these black knee pads that I got in fourth grade. They’re great quality, and they’re really lucky.

Q: They still fit you from fourth grade?

A: They still fit me; they could not be in better shape.

Q: Weirdest thing that’s happened to you during a game?

A: In high school our local TV station was at our game. This was when I played front row and I was blocking, and I missed the block. The ball hit me in the face, and then it went back over the net and I got a kill. They got that on TV, and I got a free jacket, I got invited to a banquet and I got awarded Player of the Week.

Q: All for getting hit in the face?

A: Yeah, for getting hit in the face on accident. There’s an embarrassing video on YouTube from it.

Q: If you were going to do a different sport, what would it be?

A: I would probably play tennis. I loved going to tennis games with my family when I was little, and my parents are both tennis teachers. On the West Coast it’s all outdoors, and I like that.

Q: What is your favorite thing to do when you’re not playing volleyball?

A: My favorite place in the summer is Lake Tahoe. That’s kind of what I look forward to the most. I really like boating and just hanging out at the beach and relaxing, so that’s probably my ideal class if I wasn’t playing volleyball.

Q: What’s the best class that you’ve taken at Princeton so far?

A: I would have to say my freshman seminar. It was called [FRS 141:] Forgiveness. I wasn’t really sure what I was getting into, and it turned out to be really interesting. Professor [Olga] Hasty was really nice and I really felt like, because it was a small atmosphere, I could participate and contribute.

Q: Quirkiest teammate?

A: I would have to say [sophomore] Annie Ferlmann is the funniest. Her and one of our freshmen, Cara [Mattaliano], together they just come up with the funniest cheers. Some of them are so weird, but everyone is just dying of laughter at what they’re saying on the court.

Q: If you were stranded on a island what three things would you bring?

A: I’d bring [sophomore teammate] Victoria Hammarskjold for entertainment. I’d bring my Nutella — that’s my favorite food, so that’s my number two, and I’d bring some speakers so I could bump some music on the beach.