STREET: Your mid-semester resolutions

By GRACE LIN Staff Writer

With the end of the school year right on the horizon (just beyond Lawnparties, Houseparties and final exams, if you have a hard time seeing it), you might think it’s too late to change. The extensive list of resolutions you made on that night-you-don’t-remember-so-well in January has been collecting dust in the recesses of your mind for quite some time now. Although there are four weeks left of the spring semester, just remember: there are still four weeks left of the spring semester. Now can be the time to begin bringing up your GPA by a few decimal points, meeting new people and hitting the gym at least three times a week. Some fellow Princetonians below demonstrate that there’s still time to reflect — and improve.

1. What went well in the past six weeks?

2. What didn't go so well in the past six weeks?

3. What are you hoping to improve on in the next six weeks?

4. What are you looking forward to most in the next six weeks?

Cindy Steinhardt ’16

1. I think I've done a good job keeping up with my homework and readings this semester. Last semester I lagged a lot, and it probably hurt me.

2. I haven't been the best test-taker this semester…

3. So yeah, test-taking is what I want to work on improving. I don’t know how yet though. Also, I want to exercise more. I feel worse when I don't exercise.

4. This question is hard. I'm most looking forward to being back with my friends and making time to do fun things every week, like going to the ceramics room in Wilson! That’s a secret goal of mine.

Elizabeth Cai ’13

1. I've actually made really good progress on my thesis. I'm fully done with my first draft! Yay!

2. Sleeping. I haven't been doing a lot of it. Or a regular schedule of it. Last "night", I went to bed around 7 a.m., couldn't fall asleep until 8 a.m., and I woke up at 3 p.m.

3. SLEEPING.

4. POST-THESIS LIFE.

Margaret Wang ’14

1. I decided not to take my computer to class, which raised my grades a lot! It worked out really well. I also set half marathon goals and ran a lot every day before class.

2. I am trying to lose weight ... and it's hard doing that in Princeton. It didn't go so well. I feel like it hasn't gone well since freshman year, but I'll try again this year!

3. I'm going to try to be healthier: eat healthier, sleep more and exercise more. I’m hoping to take more time to improve on looks instead of just constantly studying. Also, I want to be less stressed and talk to friends more.

4. School being over, starting my internship and starting my thesis.

Melissa Stewart ’16

1. I started taking classes that interested me, versus last semester when I was on a track that I wasn't enjoying at all. So as a result of that, I was also putting more time and effort into my work.

2. Because a lot of my classes required reading, I got way behind in some classes and had to scramble to get caught up before midterms ... and that was stressful.

3. I want try and keep up with my work so I don't get really overwhelmed at the end of the semester.

4. Lawnparties? I don’t know ... I’m hopefully going to get something set for this summer so I can be excited for that.

David Zhao ’15

1. I finalized my summer plans.

2. I ran out of Cheez-Its during midterms week.

3. I'm hoping to get back into performing, either music or something new.

4. I'm excited for the Muse concert ... which I don't have tickets for.

Bryce Ingram ’15

1. I'd say that getting into the eating club of my choice and finding myself fitting into the environment has worked out really well.

2. As a result of the change in social climate, I've had some difficulties maintaining some friendships I had previous to the Bicker decisions. It also put a time stress on my academics since I was focused on maintaining old friendships and forging new ones in my club.

3. I'm hoping to improve my ability to get more sleep now that midterms are over and to get my work done at a reasonable hour so I can get the sleep I need.

4. I'm looking forward the most to having my summer plans set in stone and finishing the year on a strong note.

Michael Yuan ’15

1. I had a back injury, but the pain is starting to go away so I can play soccer now.

2. The semester was very hectic, and I didn't have enough time to relax, think through things and hang out with friends.

3. I hope I don't end up with my current midterm grades. I also hope to leave more time for eating in the dining hall.

4. I look forward to the warmer weather and playing sports in the sun. I look forward to working at Reunions and commencement. I look forward to "the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then, but that’s no matter — tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther ... "

Tyler Starr ’16

1. I stuck to my suite's no-dessert pact during midterms and the weeks leading up to them. And I love dessert, so it's quite an accomplishment for me.

2. I sometimes had a hard time focusing when I was trying to crack down and study. My mind wanders a lot.

3. Since focusing is sometimes a problem, I'd like to work on that and on getting things done early.

4. I'm looking forward to warmer weather and studying/spending time with my friends outside. Yay spring!

Gray Holubar ’13

1. In the past six weeks, I've written essentially the entire body of my thesis. It's a little bizarre to think about the fact that a project of this magnitude can be compressed into such little time.

2. I haven't felt nearly as closely connected to many of my friends, because work has become overwhelming. Normally I'm very good at balancing my time, but I seem not to be handling my social life terribly well right now.

3. I want to improve on the way I've been relating to people socially. I want to feel more generous and proactively kind, and I want to feel more like I can take what comes and roll with the punches graciously.

4. I am really looking forward to being able to concentrate fully on enjoying my time left at Princeton and trying to be really involved and present on campus.

Nabeel Sarwar ’16

1. I got to actually pick courses I like.

2. Chinese was definitely not easy to balance with physics.

3. I hope I can cure my procrastination and not oversleep.

4. Reading period.