Campus Picks: Dec. 6, 2012

Show Beneath the Show: Kiss Me, Kate: A Concert Performance

Take refuge from the cold and chill at theater certificate students Brad Wilson and Catherine Cohen’s senior thesis production of Cole Porter’s classic “play-within-a-play” musical, “Kiss Me, Kate.” Directed by Wilson ’13, the production also stars Cohen ’13 as Lilli Vanessi and features musical direction by Gilad Cohen GS. Porter’s classic story involves the production of a musical version of Shakespeare’s “The Taming of the Shrew” and the on and off-stage conflict between Fred Graham, the show’s director, producer, and star, and his leading lady and former wife, Lilli Vanessi. While there is a special focus on the rich musical score of a concert performance, rather than the typical staged production, the context of the songs and the emotional energy of the full theatrical production are just as powerful.

Matthews Acting Studio at 185 Nassau Street

Rock of Ages: Plug In: Princeton University Rock Ensemble

Feeling that two-weeks-before-break stress? Have no fear, the P.U.R.E. show is the perfect opportunity to relax and jam to your favorite, classic tunes. If you’re a fan of The Killers, The Rolling Stones, Gorillaz or Michael Jackson, then this is definitely the show for you. Pick up your tickets in Frist Campus Center, and come witness the cathartic remedies of rock ‘n’ roll. Your ears will thank you.

Frist Film/Performance Theatre

Thursday and Friday, 9 p.m.

Dragons: Princeton University Orchestra

Bach and Beethoven don’t have anything on Princeton graduate student Gilad Cohen. The world premiere of his “Dragon Mother,” performed with Martha Elliott ’82, will awaken your senses. Mozart is sad that he missed out on pieces like Copland’s “El Salon Mexico”, Bartok’s Violin Concerto No. 2 and Richard Strauss’s Horn Concerto No. 1 in E-flat Major. Haydn wishes he could have worked with talented performers like Caitlin Wood ’15 and Max Jacobson ’13. Let the music wash over you and give you peace before we embark on our last week before break. See the Princeton University Orchestra.

Richardson Auditorium

Friday and Saturday, 7:30 p.m.

Craftiness: Frist Holiday Craft Night

Now that Thanksgiving is over and Christmas is just around the corner, we know just what you’re thinking: You need more Santa hats in your life. And where better to satisfy that urge than at the Frist Campus Center Student Events Committee’s Holiday Craft Night, where all kinds of Christmassy wonders await you, including gingerbread houses, stockings and glass ornaments? If you stop by Frist on your way to the Street and pick up a few Santa hats, you know you’ll be the flyest (no Santa’s sleigh puns intended) person in the club.

Frist Campus Center East TV Lounge 

Holiday Cheer: Readings and Carols — Princeton University Glee Club and Chamber Choir

Need a little inspiration to power you through to finals? Head over to the Glee Club and Chamber Choir’s “A Holiday Celebration of Latin American Music.” Grab some hot chocolate and take a study break to listen to some impressive vocals and cheery holiday spirit. What could be a better use of your Sunday afternoon?

Richardson Auditorium

Sunday, 3 p.m.

Date Night LOLs: Quipfire! Winter Formals Show!

Looking beautiful for your formals date, but fearing awkward tension? Break the ice by coming to Quipfire!’s improv comedy show this weekend. You’ll laugh, you’ll cry, you’ll find out if your date has a sense of humor. Featuring the group’s newest two members, this event just might be better than formals itself.

Theatre Intime

Thursday – Saturday, 11 p.m.

Campus picks compiled by Nick Ellis, Katie Bauman, Urvija Banerji, Yael Wollstein, Amelia Warshaw and Amy Garland.