Hugs not strugs

From classes to work to sports to arts, it’s no secret that we Princeton students have packed schedules. The stress and pressure to do everything can sometimes be so intense that the only thing that can rescue us is a good old hug. Ashley Vinson ’14, the initiator of Free Hugs at Princeton University, took the time to tell Street about her belief in the power of hugs.

Q:Where did you get your inspiration to start Free Hugs at Princeton?

A:I know that there have been free hug initiatives in other cities and on other college campuses. I also saw the free hugs initiative abroad when I took a gap year in Serbia, and this really inspired me to start it at Princeton. Another thing is that people on Princeton FML always mention that they want hugs and how alone they feel, so reading those posts served as my inspiration to start Free Hugs at Princeton University. It’s so nice because with the free hugs initiative you know there is always someone who is willing to give you a hug.

Q:What is your goal for the Free Hugs at Princeton initiative? What do you hope to accomplish?

A:I think my Free Hugs initiative is about community. We are all going through similar things at Princeton, but we have this culture of struggling on your own. I want to promote community, and the hope, for me, is for people to feel that they can let others know that they need a hug. We’re all there for each other. I want people to be open and be supportive of each other on campus. Also, I want Free Hugs to be a way to get people to take a breather because sometimes we all need breaks.

Q:Who is the one person you want to give a free hug to on campus and why?

A:I don’t know if there is one person I would want to hug, but sometimes I want to give hugs to random people at the dining hall or walking to classes. I can tell when people are stressed, and those are the times I just want to give people hugs. I just like to give hugs.

Q:What would you say defines a “good hug?”

A:I love tight hugs. I absolutely hate little pats on the back and when there’s a lot of space in between a hug. I mean, if you’re going to hug someone, then hug the person. I don’t like half-assed hugs. Also, what is really important about a hug is understanding how long you should hug the person. Sometimes all they need is a brief hug, but other times you need to hold on longer. Basically, you should hold on until they’re ready to let go.

Q:Do you have any plans to make your idea more visible on campus and give more free hugs?

A:I want to set up table in Frist and make T-shirts so that people can come over and get hugs. I want to take it physically outside to pathways and places where people are rushing off to class and really need a hug. I don’t want this to be an overbearing thing. I don’t want it to be an awkward or pressuring presence at Princeton; I just want it to be known on campus. But hugs don’t need to be planned, and spontaneity is good for hugs.

Q:Right now, do you have any plans to get other friends onboard?

A:I have a friend who is completely willing to do this hug thing with me. Also, on Facebook I created a group called Free Hugs at Princeton University, and there was this one guy who commented on the Facebook group wall by saying that he would totally be willing to give out hugs to those who messaged him as well. There are definitely people out there who want to be a part of it. Right now, it’s at an awkward stage because it just got started at Princeton, and it’s hard to go up to strangers to hug them. But I would totally love for people to join. I am open to huggers of all styles!

Interview conducted, condensed and edited by Monica Chon ’15.