University urges caution against burglar

The Department of Public Safety is urging community members to be on the lookout for a man accused of suspicious activity at Rider University and The College of New Jersey, according to a Campus Safety Alert issued Saturday morning.

There are no indications that the man plans to come to Princeton, Public Safety Capt. Donald Reichling said in the alert.

The suspect, 18-year-old Jamar Square of Lawrenceville, allegedly followed a female undergraduate into her dorm at Rider on Wednesday and made “suggestive remarks,” according to a safety alert issued by Rider University Public Safety. The student shut her door before he could enter. The incident occurred at Rider’s Lawrenceville campus, which is about a 15-minute drive from Princeton.

Rider authorities said they believe that Square continued to stay on campus handing out business cards reading “Sway Records presents ... Jamar Square.” Sway Records is the name of a label based in Tucson, Ariz. A spokesperson for the record label could not immediately be reached for comment.

TCNJ police are also pursuing Square in connection with a burglary and theft, according to Princeton Public Safety. TCNJ police could not be reached for comment.

Square is described as an African-American male with a “scruffy face,” last seen wearing a black jacket over a gray sweatshirt, along with a gray hat, work boots and light-blue jeans, according to Rider Public Safety. He was seen driving two vehicles: a white 2010 Toyota Yaris with New Jersey license plate ZPL-75S and a red 1999 Chevrolet Cavalier with New Jersey license place YBM-32C.

Square has been banned from Rider’s two campuses.

Reichling advised community members to call Public Safety if they see the individual.