University shut out from Rhodes

Princeton applicants were not among the recipients of the 2005 Rhodes scholarship. The Rhodes Trust announced the 32 winners, selected from a pool of 904 American applicants, this weekend. Those chosen will be given a scholarship to attend the University of Oxford in England.

President Tilghman said, "I think it's very disappointing that none of our students were chosen."

Assistant Dean of the College Frank Ordiway was out of town this weekend, while classics Professor Joshua Katz could not be reached for comment. Both coordinate the fellowship at the University.

This year's applicants hailed from 341 colleges across the United States. Ninety-five additional winners from other countries will be notified soon. This year's winners include six students from Harvard University, three from the U.S. Naval Academy and two each from the University of Virginia, Yale University, University of Chicago and Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Jordan Amadio '05 and Matthew Cooper '05 were endorsed by the University and selected by the New Jersey state committee on Wednesday to progress to the regional level, Amadio said. They were among 13 candidates who gathered in Boston on Saturday to represent the Northeast United States.

Tilghman said that she does not think this year's results are out of the ordinary.

"In every year, a very small number of students receive this award," she said. "It's really just business as usual."

The application process was exhausting, Amadio said, with over 100 hours writing essays, preparing for interviews and acquiring nine recommendations from professors and other professionals with whom he has worked and studied.

Last year, Princeton had one Rhodes recipient, David Robinson '04 of Potomac, Md., who is currently attending Oxford's Balliol College.

A philosophy major and former 'Prince' opinion editor, Robinson is studying moral philosophy and hopes to pursue a career in journalism.

Robinson, though very satisfied with his Princeton academic career, attributed the low number of Rhodes scholars in recent years to a lack of intellectualism on campus.

"There are people who want to have intellectual conversations over dinner, but it can be hard for some to find their niche," Robinson said.

He did, however, commend President Tilghman and the current administration for making strides to improve Princeton's image and attract a more "eclectic" crowd.

It was not immediately clear the last time the University did not have a Rhodes Scholar.

Since its inception in 1902, the Rhodes scholarship has been awarded to 3,046 American men and women, including numerous Princeton alumni, faculty and administrators.

The next big fellowship announcement will be Marshall Scholars.