Reporting the news

The Daily Princetonian occupies a unique role on campus. We are the only publication to report as impartially as possible on the full range of issues that concern members of the campus community. Through more than 130 issues a year, we cover events while they unfold — not just after they are resolved.

When we decide what to investigate, we explore all sources — including rumors that find their way to 'Prince' staff members. But these ideas must travel through a complicated path of meetings, discussions and editorial decisions before we begin the reporting process.

We print stories in the 'Prince' when we believe they are factually accurate and valuable to our readers. They are sensational only when the news itself is sensational.

Our readers sometimes question the placement of stories, the wording of a headline or the choice of which events we cover. We improve our coverage by responding to this critical analysis of the newspaper.

We aim to present the facts behind controversial issues. Our goal is to enable informed rather than speculative discussion.

When we make errors, we correct them. Our editorial page is open for our readers to react to our mistakes.

The 'Prince' will continue to report the news in as accurate and fair a manner as possible. And we will continue to encourage you to respond.