Letters to the Editor

Sign-in clubs: Life after Bicker

Dear Sophomores:

I have a confession to make: I was hosed. It is an inevitable part of having a Bicker process, and it is a difficult time for many students — as it was for me. It may seem like a disaster for you right now, but you will soon realize the ultimate inconsequence of it all.

I know that today is a nerve-racking day for many of you who bickered. I hope that those who are welcomed into Bicker clubs today will have a wonderful experience this weekend, but this letter is really for those who are still looking for a club after the first round.

I ask you to consider what you were hoping for in an eating club. Was it a chance to form new friendships and strengthen old ones? A place to belong and call your own? Great meals? Bands, DJ's and (after you turn 21) beer? All of these things, and so much more, are still available to you.

This year, five clubs are able to welcome you into their membership. These are clubs with great upperclass members, where many of your classmates are already beginning to feel at home — and you can join them as early as tomorrow. Whether you sign-in on your own or with a group of friends, club membership will open up a whole new world to you, including leadership opportunities and the chance to play a part in creating an environment in which you can be truly comfortable over the next two and a half years. Club membership will allow you to participate in one hundred year old traditions and to create new ones that will become a part of the Princeton experience.

Many of the clubs will be open to you tonight, and I encourage you to come out to the 'Street' and check out your options. In addition, you can contact the club presidents for more information about individual clubs.

Sign-ins will be tomorrow, Saturday, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Frist Campus Center. I know that some of you may choose to leave campus this weekend, so you can also sign-in by looking at the form online at www.princeton.edu/~ppf/ Form2.html and emailing your choices to ppf@princeton.edu no later than 2 p.m. on Saturday. Just make sure you get back in time for initiations!

This is an important decision for you and I hope you will seriously consider what each of the excellent clubs has to offer. If you choose to, you can have a wonderful time during your upperclass years in a club.

I hope to see you at the sign-in table, Saturday, 11 - 2, at Frist. Mary Alice Teti '00 InterClub Advisor