Uniting to Take Back the Night

Voices rang and candles blazed through campus Saturday night as nearly 250 students ans staff participated in Princeton's 15th annual Take Back the Night march.

The rally began in the University chapel, where event organizer Brooke Friedman '01 discussed its importance.

"People feel that Princeton is immune from a lot of the problems that afflict society," she said. "But Princeton is not an exception. Unfortunately, sexual violence is a reality for many Princeton students, and it needs to be addressed."

After leaving the chapel, marchers set out on a tour of campus, stopping in Campbell courtyard, the tennis pagoda, Prospect Gardens, 1879 arch and, finally, Prospect Avenue.

At each stop, men and women spoke out, sharing their own experiences and those of loved ones. Some expressed themselves through song, others through poetry. Some fought back tears as they recounted their stories.

"It provided such a supportive environment where people listen and respect the experience [of sexual violence]," said Sarah Miller '03, who spoke during the march. "For victims in particular, I think that the march serves as a means of empowerment — a way to transcend feelings of powerlessness and isolation."

Organizers attributed particular significance to increasing campus awareness considering only 10 percent of sexual crimes are reported on campus.

SHARE coordinator Katherine Imhof-Struve emphasized event's importance from a counselor's perspective. "It takes some of the shame out of getting help," she said. "Sometimes a victim feels guilty or responsible for what is actually a crime against them. The march helps victims to know that what has happened to them is wrong and is not their fault."

As they made their way through campus, marchers shouted slogans such as: "Princeton unite — take back the night!" and "Yes means yes, no means no — whatever we wear, wherever we go."

Reactions by onlookers were mixed, and the response was more positive than in past years — in 1987 male students reportedly threw beer cans at marchers, yelling "We can rape whoever we want" and "Michelob rules the night," according to Friedman.

But even last night, there were a few vulgar comments made. One passerby was heard to say to his companion: "Whatever — let's go to a party and rape some chicks." His friend replied, "Come on, man. That's not cool."

Women's Center director Susan Overton, who overheard the remarks, used the incident to illustrate the importance of a community effort in combating sexual violence at every level.

"It takes a lot of courage to stand up to a friend, especially if something seems like a joke, but it's really important," she said.

Saloni Doshi '03, a member of the Take Back the Night planning committee, summed up the impact of the march.

"Every person who wears a purple ribbon or marches with a candle at the Take Back the Night march is giving a little bit more strength and comfort to all those who have been influenced by sexual assault," she said. "By showing support in whatever way possible, you never know who you are helping to heal."