Princeton and Oxford anounce collaborative research projects

Princeton and Oxford Universities announced yesterday a comprehensive plan for collaborative research as well as faculty and student exchanges.

The initiative was approved by the Princeton University Board of Trustees on Saturday and was similarly approved by the Council of the University of Oxford on Monday. It is expected to foster a closer relationship between the two institutions.

"Researching and learning increasingly are global endeavors, involving collaboration among faculty members and students from around the world," President Shapiro said in a press release. "This new program will create important new opportunities and synergies by drawing on the complementary strengths and perspectives of faculty and students at two of the world's leading universities."

Beginning with the 2001-2002 academic year, a joint committee of professors will analyze and designate research projects for collaboration, 12 of which have already been provisionally identified.

Ranging from the history of books to nanotechnology, the projects will use the most sophisticated resources the two universities have to offer.

Princeton professor Ravindra Bhatt is one of the professors selected for the collaboration project. Bhatt explained that in the field of nanotechnology and semiconductor physics, necessary equipment is very expensive and requires trained personnel to maintain.

"The biggest advantage is that [Oxford] complements our work and facilities," Bhatt said, adding it is a "disadvantage that they're a plane ride away. But the people who are involved in this are the best at what they do. It would be nice if Oxford were right next door, but you have to go where the resources are."

As the collaborative efforts begin later this year, administrators and faculty at both universities will evaluate methods to implement larger student and faculty exchanges.

Many Princeton faculty members have trained or studied at Oxford and undergraduates routinely study there as well. Additional exchange between the two institutions is geared to both providing a solid learning experience to foster a strong relationship between Princeton and Oxford.

Yesterday's announcement comes on the heels of last year's $12 million web-based learning initiative between the University and Oxford to provide on-line courses, interactive seminars and multimedia programs.