The hush-hush issue of masturbation should be considered taboo no longer

The "Vagina Monologues," performed in Richardson Auditorium last week, certainly were shocking. But it would be a mistake to evaluate the performances solely on their ability to unsettle audiences. At their most powerful moments, the monologues were challenging and thought provoking, forcing us to examine issues related to gender relations and sexual health through means that violate established norms of public discourse.

Unfortunately, the "Vagina Monologues" occur only once a year. They bring matters related to sexual health and gratification into the public arena for a few hours or a few days. Soon, however, the issues get sidelined once again, prompting us to wait for the next Valentine season to bring them up. Issues related to violence against women certainly do get public airings at other times, either during Take Back the Night marches or freshman orientation workshops on sexual assault. At the same time, matters related to sexual gratification and self-expression remain marginalized. What follows is an attempt to reopen the daily public discourse on sexual health by addressing the issue of masturbation.

Masturbation. That was the fateful word in 1995 that ended Dr. Jocelyn Elders' brief tenure as Surgeon General of the United States. Elders was roundly criticized and dismissed for stating something with which most of us would agree: masturbation is a part of human sexuality and may even be taught under the appropriate circumstances.

Of course, most men may not need to be taught about masturbation, either in terms of its technique or in terms of its social acceptability. From our early days of sexual education in middle school to contemporary references in movies such as "American Pie," men learn that masturbation is normal, easy and good.

Not so for women. At least for many of the women I know. I have broached the topic several times in the past few days with my female friends, and most of them are reluctant to talk about it. It is quite likely that women are just as likely to masturbate as men, but are more reluctant to discuss it in mixed company. Some of the people I asked stated that they just do not like to discuss such matters in public or with people other than their close female friends. However, others have been willing to open up in private conversations and still express reservations about masturbation. One even went so far as to say that, even if she wanted to masturbate, she wouldn't know how.

In order to remove the social stigmas associated with female masturbation, we need to have more public discussions on the matter. The University's center for Sexual Education, Counseling and Health can help in this regard. Currently, SECH provides pamphlets and information on its website on the benefits of abstinence, contraception, annual exams and "negotiating skills" during sexual experiences.

Missing, however, is any discussion of masturbation and its benefits related to sexual health. One obvious benefit to masturbation is that it is the safest form of sexual gratification — safe not only in terms of the transmission of diseases, but also in terms of the risk of pregnancy and sexual assault. Many also proclaim other health benefits associated with masturbation: stress reduction, endorphin release, stronger pelvic muscles, reduction of prostate gland infection for men and menstrual cramp relief and resistance to yeast infections for women. One could even argue that masturbation provides political benefits; self-pleasure is certainly more discreet and acceptable than gratification by White House interns.

Princeton should do more than simply provide information in pamphlets and its SECH Website. It should also create workshops that empower women who choose to explore their own sexual bodies and means of self-pleasure. There are several workshops already available at other universities and through organizations such as Good Vibrations (www.goodvibes.com). Indeed, such a program was the topic of one of Eve Ensler's "Vagina Monologues." Sexual education should also include informing and engaging the larger public on all issues relating to sexual health, including that of masturbation. Indeed, SECH should invite speakers on sexual gratification during National Masturbation Day on May 7.

Breaking the social taboos surrounding masturbation is an important component of sexual education and health. The "Vagina Monologues" were a welcome first step in this process. But we should not wait another year to continue opening campus discourse on sexual gratification and self-expression.

(S. Karthick Ramakrishnan is a politics and Office of Population Research graduate student from Holden, Mass. He can be reached at karthick@princeton.edu)