Seniors Hanson, Krance dominate Ivy League from heart of Princeton lineup

Baseball players are known for their superstitious habits.

For example, every time senior Andrew Hanson steps up to the plate, he takes a bit of a Balance bar. The first baseman also documents real life coincidences. He keeps a journal of the impressive ones.

Perhaps he should examine the list of team records for last season. He would certainly find uncanny consistency in the names found at the tops of all the statistic lists — fellow senior Max Krance's and his own among the top few in almost every category. But then again it may not be useful for his coincidence collection — it is far from a matter of coincidence. Hanson would have to use up a good portion of his journal to write down all of his and Krance's accomplishments — and every one of them is impressive.

The two lefty batters led the team in slugging percentage, RBI, doubles and total bases. They are both among the top five for batting average, on base percentage, runs scored, hits and doubles. And of course, they also lead the team in home runs, Hanson first, Krance, the former Ivy League Rookie of the Year, second.

"I think just about any coach will tell you that Hanson and Krance are the best two hitters in the league," head coach Scott Bradley said of the No. 3 and 4 hitters in the Tiger lineup. "We'll have as good a season as they have."

With the taste of last season's Ivy League victory over Dartmouth — which both players cite as their greatest baseball moment — still in their mouths, the seniors are clear on what the definition of success will be this year: another Ivy League title and a win at the NCAA Regional championships.

Off the field, Krance is specializing in the visual arts segment of the art history program, specifically painting and sculpting. Krance is interested in going to graduate school to obtain his Masters of Fine Arts.

Though he has a pension for finer movements in his studies ever since his earliest ears in South Nyack, NY, Krance's forte has always been considerably less delicate.

"I have a fascination with hitting things," Krance explained. "When I was two or three I had the little soft balls and bats and my dad would pitch to me. It's always been my favorite part of the game."

Hanson, a psychology major from Cumberland, Maine, has also come a long way since playing tee-ball in a nearby field on a team with his sister.

This growth has continued into college, where both players have focused on individual aspects of their game. For Krance that aspect has been defense.

"I've been an outfielder since my sophomore year of high school, so I'm accustomed to it," Krance said. "My freshman year I had a couple of mishaps, but I've gotten better."

Career highlight

Hanson's pinnacle came last year in a record-setting performance against Columbia. The first baseman hit for the cycle, going 6-for-6 with two homeruns and five single-game records set or broken.

Despite their importance to the team, neither is really feeling the pressure.

"We've got most of our hitters back from last year," Hanson said. "We've got six or seven who were over .300. If I can't do it one day, someone else will. I just want to try and contribute."

Is there life after baseball? Probably, but if all goes right, such a life will not begin for some time. Both Hanson and Krance are looking for their chance to continue dominating the diamond next year.

"Baseball is my Plan A, B and C," Hanson said. "I hope to get drafted but if not I'll try out for an independent team."

"There's no question about whether I'd like to [play professionally]," Krance said. "The only question is whether they want me."

Even these college stars have dreams. For Hanson, it's playing for Kansas City, where his parents grew up, or for the Red Sox so he could have the Fenway Park experience. Krance would like to join him in the East.

"I'd love to be a Yankee," Krance said. "I'd go anywhere, I just want to play ball. But I'd particularly want to be in pinstripes."

Bradley is just glad to have these power hitters in the black and orange — at least for a little while longer.

"They've been here my whole career," Bradley said. "I'm going to miss them next year."