Spies glosses over labor problems that are obvious to many

As one of the members of the Workers' Rights Organizing Committee who met with Vice-President Richard Spies GS '72 on Feb. 15, I was surprised to see Mr. Spies characterize that meeting in these pages as "a very helpful and constructive discussion."

WROC members presented Mr. Spies with a detailed report on the problems in Princeton's labor practices, as well as a specific set of improvements which the University could make to address these problems. Mr. Spies and fellow administrators rejected all but one of our defined problems (they admitted to some concern about prolonged use of casual labor) and every one of our solutions to these problems. They informed us that they were "pretty comfortable" with these policies, and that they "don't see them changing."

Although Mr. Spies suggested in his editorial that concerned Princetonians need a "common understanding" of labor practices before we can move forward, WROC and its supporters — including over sixty faculty members and hundreds of staff — understand the current problems perfectly well; moreover, they have given the administration practical solutions in each case. As Saturday's rally — featuring over 300 students, faculty, staff and alumni — demonstrated, it is Princeton's administration that needs to acknowledge the "common understanding" on and beyond campus — shared by professors, janitors, casual workers, students, politicians, religious leaders and now alumni — that the University should give its lowest-paid workers a better deal.