President's Speech, Prizes To Highlight Alumni Day

Princeton graduates from all parts of the United States will be on campus tomorrow for the 45th Annual Midwinter Meeting of the Princeton National Alumni Association. Some 1500 alumni are expected to attend the ceremonies, which will take place at a luncheon in Dillon Gym.

The dinner is the culmination of the four-month Annual Giving Drive. The total for this year will be announced at the dinner by Macpherson Raymond '40 chairman of the Annual Giving Program. Last year's total of $1,331,467 established a record participation percentage.

In addition to a speech by President Goheen, the luncheon will feature the awarding of three of the university's most important honors—the Woodrow Wilson Award, the M. Taylor Pyne Prize and The Freshman First Honor Prize. The Wilson Award is conferred on that alumnus who most fits the appellation, "Princeton in the Nation's Service." The award is a cash prize of $1000 and was established only two years agao by an anonynmous gift of $35,000. The two previous winners of the prize were Norman Armour '09 , career diplomat, and Dr. Allan O. Whipple '04, surgeon and educator.

The Pyne Honor Prize is awarded to that senior who, in the opinion of the President, the Secretary of the university and the Dean of the College, has most clearly manifested "excellent scholarship, manly qualities and effective support of the best interests of the Princeton University." The prize amounts to a sum equal to the tuition fee for one academic year, which at present totals $1200.

That member of the class of 1961 who last year attained the highest acadmic average is awarded the Freshman First Honor Prize.

To close out the luncheon ceremonies, nominations of the two new trustees will be presented by Albridge C. Smith 3rd '36 to fill the vacancies which will be left in June by the expiration of the four year terms of Clark Hungerford '22 and John C. Williams '25. Tomorrow morning some 200 of the visiting alumni will attend a number of different precepts. This is part of a plan intitiated two years ago, which enables graduates to recreate their undergraduate days in a precept of their choice.

The departments offering the precepts include the Departments of Art, Classics, English, Germanic Languages and Literatures, Natural Sciences, Philosophy, Psychology, Religion and Romance Languages. Those who are going to the precepts have already been given the assignments to prepare for the sessions.

While their husbands are in precept, the alumni wives are invited to attend a lecture by Professor Edward L. Huber of the English Department on "The Tragic World of Eugene O'Neill."

Before the dinner the university band will give a concert in Dillon Gym at 11:30. At 3 the annual Class of 1876 Memorial Prize Debate in Politics will be held in the auditorium of Whig Hall. The topic is "Resolved: That This House Deplores the Primary Emphasis on Expediency in American Foreign Policy."

A relief globe of the world will be presented to the Natural History Museum in Guyot Hall at 4. Also at 4 alumni and guests of the university are invited toattend the Universtiy League Tea in the Faculty Lounge of Firestone Library. There will be a carillon recital on the the Class of 1892 Carillon at 5 by A.L. Bigelow.