Open casting call to be held for Russell Crowe film about life of John Nash

As Russell Crowe smiles at the camera while walking down McCosh Walk next month, you could be doing the same right next to him.

Open casting calls for Universal Picture's "A Beautiful Life" are scheduled to take place tomorrow and Saturday at the University.

The film, which will be directed by Ron Howard and will star the burly Australian Oscar nominee along with Ed Harris and Jennifer Connolly, will be shot on campus and in surrounding areas beginning Mar. 26.

The open casting calls — looking to hire extras for the movie — will take place in 10 sessions throughout the two days. Two of the sessions — which will take place at 9 a.m. both tomorrow and Saturday — are meant for students only. The other sessions — scheduled to take place at 11 a.m., 1 p.m., 3 p.m. and 5 p.m. on both days — are open for anyone over 18, regardless of associations to the University.

"All types are needed," said location casting director Bill Dance, who has worked on films such as "The Grinch," "Jerry Maguire" and "Steel Magnolias."

"All ethnic groups and ages — students, professors, scholars," he said.

Dance will run all the casting calls, which will take the form of information sessions.

"I will be telling the people about the movie, who is in it, what it is all about," Dance said. "It will be very human, very real — not typical Hollywood."

Those who go to the casting calls will not be asked to act, but will be required to fill out a form. It is recommended that students bring University identification, as well as a photograph of themselves. Dance said those who are hired as extras will be paid once the movie is filmed. Acting experience is not required.

"We really need students as extras," Dance said. "We are going to be shooting on campus at convenient times — not during spring break and not during exams."

The extras will be "hand-picked," according to Dance.

"We want to depict campus life. We are looking for realism," he said. "I need students for scenes in the math department, around campus and for a party scene, at least."

"I am really designing the canvas for the scenes," Dance said. "I want the scenes to look real, to appeal to the period. I pick the environment and the extras are a big part of that."